Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cover letter for job at GAME

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi! I'm applying for a job as a sales assistant at Game and I'm not 100% sure what all I should include in the cover letter. Should I put in things like what days I'm available to work on (which is all days btw!)?? And should I mention that I like gaming or not???

Any advice would be much appreciated! also if anyone has any general tips for writing cover letters that would also be good!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do they ask for? CV and cover letter or application form? If it's an application form I would cover everything there and limit the cover letter to "please find enclosed..."

If it's a CV you need to make the covering letter read like an application form, so it should explain why you want to work for them, when you're available to work, etc.
    They just asked for a CV and didn't mention a cover letter, but I thought I would do one anyway in case they secretly did want one.

Thanks for the help! :)
    No worries. If you sound really enthusiastic about the company, and demonstrate what experience you have and how it has given you relevant skills, you'll be good I reckon. Try not to go over one side of A4, or they won't read it all.
    cheers! I also meant to ask; how should I finish the letter? I was thinking something like "thank you for reading this, please see my CV for further info etc etc yours sincerely.." but I'm not 100% sure on this either
    I would start with "Please find my CV attached..." so you don't need to repeat that. For a formal letter I would probably close with something like, "I look forward to hearing from you, yours sincerely,"
    Ok I'll do that! Thanks very much!
    If I were applying for a job at game I'd write a pretty quirky cover letter showing my interest in computer games. Just a couple of paragraphs - favourite gaming moment, biggest gaming faux pas, which sequel outstripped the first game, etc. Just a few words and a handful of sentiments to separate yourself from the pack and show your gaming credentials; in my experience the guys who work at Game would appreciate that.
    If I were applying for a job at game I'd write a pretty quirky cover letter showing my interest in computer games. Just a couple of paragraphs - favourite gaming moment, biggest gaming faux pas, which sequel outstripped the first game, etc. Just a few words and a handful of sentiments to separate yourself from the pack and show your gaming credentials; in my experience the guys who work at Game would appreciate that.

I've done this before. Just don't be too eccentric on listing favorite games that are decades old, or are hardly heard of - and don't be negative. After all it's a Sales Assistant role, you're selling what is in the now, and what is to come. While there is no harm showing your long (if you have a long) history of gaming, it wouldn't benefit you in a company like GAME. Cover other basic things too, like your previous experiences, or even if you like to post reviews of games you're played/purchased around forums/blogs/retailers - that shows you would be willing to share them with customers if they wanted advice, which you will hear a lot of "My son is 12, what is a good game for him? Not too challenging, something he could play with his friends/online, but something that will work his mind that little bit." - Good game? Portal 2.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    paperclip wrote: »
    also if anyone has any general tips for writing cover letters that would also be good!!

:wave: Paperclip,
    This article about covering letters might help you out, its got some good hints and tips :)
    and this is a handy video too.

Piccolo, CptCoatHanger and Javakrypt have already given you some great advice too. Let us know how you get on with it!
    Laura
    Thanks guys, this has really helped me out! :)

I'll let you know how it goes!