Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Changing Phone Contracts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My contract with o2 finishes tomorrow and I don't want to renew it because I'm pretty sure I'm going to move to Orange. I'm about to ring up o2 now to tell them but what happens exactly? If I say I want to leave will they just disconnect my sim from tomorrow so I don't have a phone number to use? I don't want them to do that because I havent sorted out a new contract with orange yet and i dont want to be phoneless! Also does anybody know if you can usually carry numbers over with you to another network or not, i'd really like to keep the same number as ive had it for years! If anybodys done this before wouldnt mind your experience of it :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can transfer your number across, when you terminate your contract ask for your PAC code. Your existing O2 sim will become an O2 pay and go sim with your current number until you give the PAC code to Orange.
    I seem to remember that when I had a contract years ago, if I didn't phone up and cancel it, it just ran on - but it could be cancelled at any time.
    Melian wrote: »
    I seem to remember that when I had a contract years ago, if I didn't phone up and cancel it, it just ran on - but it could be cancelled at any time.

I think that happened with me too. Well, I was with 02 and I went past the time I could upgrade, then I decided I wanted to switch T Mobile and I did. I'd wait until you find a deal you want, then ring them.
    I think you'll move onto a rolling monthly contract after the end of your current one. You might still need to give notice before cancelling, so check with o2 first. When you get a new contract you can switch straight over using your PAC from o2.
    thank youu everyone. it doesnt apply to me anymore because when i rang up o2 to cancel they gave me a really good deal so im staying with them afterall :)