Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Curling uncooperative hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, my hair is a right pain to deal with.

Usually I just straighten it but it's naturally curly and I really like the curly look (not just because my girlfriend fancies Alex Kingston - see below) but the top layer of my hair refuses to curl. I've used curling mousse, a diffuser, etc. and none of it has worked. How can I make it look pretty?!

10422_153406_210715.jpg

The next wedding I'm going to I'm wearing a Vivien of Holloway frock, kind of fifties style, and this sort of hair style would seem to suit that look.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Easiest way I've found to make mine curl nicely is to leave it wet, brush it with one of those brushes with big gaps between the bristles so it's not squashed against my head and then let it air dry naturally.
    move your parting so it's a different bit that is the top layer?
    I've tried that but it doesn't make enough difference
    Could you try proper old fashioned heated curlers and loads of hair spray. Or even find an old granny hairdresser near you and see if they;d do a style and set
    Have it permed?
    Either rollers or curling irons of if you have GHD's you can use them to curl although I never really got the hang of it there are demo's on you tube I belive.
    How long is your hair at the moment, and what texture. Could you post a picture?
    Forget the fifties route, go down the punk route and get yourself a chelsea.
    katralla wrote: »
    How long is your hair at the moment, and what texture. Could you post a picture?

217267_726501006030_202900450_38924118_6728989_n.jpg

That's just dried normally. It's down to just below my shoulder blades.
    It's pretty long! To get the curls like the first picture I think you'd need to get layers cut into it.
    It does have layers cut in but I might need a trim I suppose
    i'd reccomend the straighteners curling method. My hair refuses to curl at the back with every other method than this.

It needs to be on day old hair (as in not freshly washed, I find washing the day before is best

I wouldnt bother putting any product on it before doing it, it'll just make the straighteners drag

Its hard to explain how to do it, you clamp a small section of hair in the straighteners, then pull the straighteners through the legnth as you would if straightening only you twist them to create a curl. If you alternate the way you twist it looks the best.

When your done, then spray to fix it.

This only works with the GHD style straighteners (doesnt have to be this brand), with the ceramic plate right to the edge.
    Kate, I think I have tried every curling method known to woman, including perms, tongs, hot rollers, cold sponge sets, pin curls, etc.

The best method I've ever found is good old fashioned rag curls - after washing your hair, wait until it is practically fry, wrap your hair in small sections around a piece of material until it is at the top of your head and then tie it up. Go to sleep and then next morning take them all out.

If you brush the curls then they go crazy at first so get some anti frizz serum on them and just keep smoothing them until they form into nice curls. They'll last days like this. I like the theory of using tongs etc. but on my hair the curls just fall out after half an hour. Cold sets are the way to go for me!