Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wanting to go to college with a Young Family to support

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi People :hyper:
I am really wanting to go back to college as I feel like ive found a career I want to follow which is totally differant from what I have already done!
I want to go into a Media course at college and go on the University but I do have a family, an 18month old and a 4week baby! I have a partner who works but his wages only pay half of everything and I always pay my half. I am on Mat leave until april next year but I did work 30hrs a week. I hope that I can do a course and work 22.5hrs still a week as I work as a maternity nurse currently and I would be able to do nights, weekends and shifts around classes.
Do you get any other help with living a a student and do you think it will bepossible?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    There's very little help at college.

With uni, you may get help with child care costs.

There are also funds if you're struggling with money.

A lot of the help you get depends if you're on benefits too.
  • Options
    What career are you aiming for?

ETA: as a nurse, do you not already have a degree? Why would you go back to college, why not just go straight back to uni?
  • Options
    If you already have a degree, you may not get funding.
  • Options
    If you already have a degree then (presumably) you will already have level 3 qualifications (e.g. A'Levels, NVQ3). This means that many avenues of funding will not be open to you in higher education. It also means that if you decide to return to university you will have to fund it yourself.
  • Options
    What is it you want to do? Most people I know who work in 'the media' would advise against media studies as a vocational course.