Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Report or Not?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a tricky situation, not sure what to do. I recently left home due to violence (as I have previously said in other posts), and I'm unsure whether to report what has happened in the past to the police. I won't go into details but I have in the past had physical injuries but not been to hospital about them, (although I did take a picture of bruising I had).
I'm just wondering whether it would be best to report this? Would they believe me even if the person who did it denied it? And what would happen next? Would I have to go to court?

I want to report it, but I'm really unsure and quite scared :confused:

Comments

• Options
    You should report it. It will still go on file, it's better than not reporting it.
  • Options
    What do you hope will come out of this if you do report it?
  • Options
    You can decide to report it without deciding at the moment if you want to press charges (if that even becomes an option).
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    piccolo wrote: »
    You can decide to report it without deciding at the moment if you want to press charges (if that even becomes an option).

Indeed. I'm not sure if it's already been suggested to chat with someone at Victim Support? They should be able to chat with you about the repercussions and also give you some further advice on coping with the violence you've experienced. Here's the contact us page: http://www.victimsupport.org.uk/Contact%20us

I know it's really hard so it's really good that you're looking to get support with all the different things you're facing at the moment. :yes:
  • Options
    Thank you I will try the victim support, I have decided I am going to report it but not yet, just as soon as it's safe to do so.
    Everything is just happening all at once at the minute and is a bit confusing to sort everything out!
    But will get there,
    Thank you for the help :)
  • Options
    Hey there hmmm7,

Sorry about the hard time you've had in the past. But glad to hear that you've decided to report it. Victim support, as suggested above, will be able to help you with the questions that you have and they will be able to support you through this process.

I also just wanted to direct you to the Women's Aid website which has information that might be helpful to you. In particular I thought you might like to read the page about the Police and the Criminal Prosecution Service, from their Survivor's Handbook. They also have a free phone 24 hour helpline (0808 2000 247).

I hope this helps. Please feel free to use the boards to pull you through this difficult time; whether it's by asking questions or just having a rant. :)
  • Options
    I went to report it, but I chickened out at the last minute. I don't think I'm ready yet because I can't even talk about it all properly.
    And I want to make sure nothing will happen after I do, so it will have to wait at the minute, but I will eventually.
    I'm still trying to make sense of it all and totally failing!
    :eek2:
  • Options
    Ahh, Sorry to hear that hmmm7.

Just wondering if you've tried to write down what you would like to say instead? Sometimes this is easier than talking and can help you make more sense of your thoughts and feelings.

:)
  • Options
    Just a word of warning: there's generally a policy at the police and CPS now that they will pursue domestic violence cases even when the victim doesn't want it. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't your choice as to whether charges are pressed. If you allege a crime and they investigate it they can take it to court with or without your blessing. And they do sometimes, especially if the violence is admitted.

You need to think about what outcome you want from reporting. If you want the person who did it to have the book thrown at them, do it and you'll get support. If you just want someone to acknowledge what happened, you might be looking in the wrong place.
  • Options
    I don't know what I want anymore
    I just want it all to go away :crying: