Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Washable/Reusable/"Real" nappies

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    which ones are they kaff. Have you got a link. Or what are they like? I can help

They're these ones. The dream dri ones, not bamboo.

I think I've figured most of it out thanks to the wonder of the tinternet, but still got a touch of the confusion. Do you reckon I need to wash them before I use them, or are they good to go? What's the deal with boosters? Do you just shove in as many as you need? What is the purpose of the little waterproof bags - just to keep them away from your other stuff when you've changed out and about?
    The bucket goes on the babies head.

:p

Might be easier if I just put her in it!
    wash before you use them. If possible wash 2 or 3 times. Dont need to use washing powder every time. They wont reach full absorbancy till after a few washes, like towels

You dont need to wash the outers, but definitely wash the inserts
    yeah the waterproof bags will be somewhere to store wet ones when out and about
    Thank you :heart:

Got them in the wash today, so hopefully can take them for a test run tomorrow! :)
    :)

I think youll be pleasantly surprised
    We've been test driving them for 2 days and have to say I'm impressed. Haven't tried them overnight yet (need to buy boosters, I think, cause Superbaby is like some kind of pissing machine) but she has treated them to plenty of pee and one epic poo, and not even a sniff of a leak! Just pulled them out of the wash and they've come out sparkling white and practically dry.

Awesome :thumb:

And I found a random Fuzzi Bunz nappy in her size in the clearance section of TK Maxx for 4 squid, so will be trialling that too!
    hooray. Theyre so much easier than people think
    By the time you include washing, are they cheaper or more expensive than disposables?
    Sorry, being really lazy not typing this up myself lol

"Are cloth nappies cheaper than disposables?
    Cloth nappies are cheaper than disposables. How much cheaper depends on the type you buy and how you wash them.

Your baby will be in nappies for around two and a half years. Using disposables for that time will cost approximately £600.

Cloth nappies will cost around £250 to buy. Washing them over a two and a half year period will cost approximately £80. So the total cost of using reusables is around £330, giving you a saving of around £270. However, if you tumble dry your baby's nappies, you could add an extra £100 or more to your bill.

Where you can really save with cloth nappies is if you plan to have more children. By using your nappies again you dramatically reduce your overall costs. "

Plus they don't sit clogging up landfills for the next 50-100 years. Saving money and the environment, bonus!

Plus you can sell them once you've finished with them making your savings even more.
    i think disposables over 2 and a half years will cost more than that, depending on the brand you buy.

When I used cloth, I found it MORE reliable against leaks than disposables on average. A good two piece shaped elasticated cloth nappy with a wrap over the top is pretty much bomp proof. Youre much less likely to get a poo-splosion with that. I got them ALL THE TIME with disposables.
    I also liked the not having to lug big bags of nappies home from the shops cos i dont drive, and the fact you never run out. I liked the eco-friendliness of it, the cute factor, and then the fact theyre cheaper, although you have more initial outlay, but then youre set. If youre planning on having more than one child, its even cheaper because you can use them all again.
    I've ordered 10 of the mega cheapy chinese pocket nappies you recommended Lolz, as I figure that for the price they'll be fairly economical even if they fall to pieces after a few months, not that I'm expecting them to. I'm hoping that they're quick drying! Will recycle some of the bamboo boosters and Mio Bambino Prefolds as overnight soakers and then with a fleece liner we're hopefully good to go!

The only leaks I've ever had with madam have been when she's been wearing disposables. Ditto with nappy rash. Can't wait for them to arrive now as sick of putting her in smelly disposables. How do people stand the stink in their dustbins? Ours fills up about 5 times as fast when she's not wearing washables.

Melian - we spent about £90 in total on her size 1s plus boosters and have so far spent £37 on her size 2s. As she's such a titch we might well get away without having to fork out again before she's potty trained.
    Do any of you cloth users also use washable wipes? I'm thinking that it actually might be less hassle than disposable ones, cause at the moment I still need nappy bags and a trip to the bin for my pooey wipes, whereas with washable ones I could just chuck them in the wet bag with the nappy, and they'll all get washed together anyway.

Deffo agree with the leak situation. We stopped using name brand nappies pretty sharpish because of the amount of poo they literally just let slide out, but even with the best I've found (Tesco's own) we get a leak of some kind at least once a day, even when the poo/wee situation seems relatively minor. Have been using my cloths for a few days now and they haven't leaked once. They also seem to smell less when they are poo-filled. I used to know when she needed changing cause I could smell her, but now I need to have a peek in! Yum ;)
    i tried washable wipes, but got fed up sorting them all out after the wash cos theyre so little. A lot of people are fine with them though
    I think they'd be pretty quick and easy to make, so might just make a few up and see how I go.
    We tried using them but they were too much of a faff, truth be told, because it was hard to keep them damp and they always went missing in the wash. They'll be dead easy to make though, ours were just fleecy felt squares basically.

As for disposable nappies, Pampers and Huggies are horrendous for leaks. The best ones we've found are Mamia nappies from Aldi (£5 for 48, can't go wrong!), but the Lidl ones are very good too. We use disposables when we're likely to be out for hours with Sod Baby because I don't like carrying a pooey nappy around with me in the changing bag.
    We tried using them but they were too much of a faff, truth be told, because it was hard to keep them damp and they always went missing in the wash. They'll be dead easy to make though, ours were just fleecy felt squares basically.

As for disposable nappies, Pampers and Huggies are horrendous for leaks. The best ones we've found are Mamia nappies from Aldi (£5 for 48, can't go wrong!), but the Lidl ones are very good too. We use disposables when we're likely to be out for hours with Sod Baby because I don't like carrying a pooey nappy around with me in the changing bag.

This, or ASDA own brand nappies are fantastic, can't fault them.
    i looooooooooooooove my bamboo wipes :heart:
    Kaff wrote: »
    Do any of you cloth users also use washable wipes? I'm thinking that it actually might be less hassle than disposable ones, cause at the moment I still need nappy bags and a trip to the bin for my pooey wipes, whereas with washable ones I could just chuck them in the wet bag with the nappy, and they'll all get washed together anyway.

But would you really want to carry smelly wet wipes around with you? I use wet wipes instead of toilet tissue and have just Googled reusable wet wipes. The outlay looks somewhat expensive.
    Melian wrote: »
    But would you really want to carry smelly wet wipes around with you? I use wet wipes instead of toilet tissue and have just Googled reusable wet wipes. The outlay looks somewhat expensive.

Might as well if I'm carrying round a smelly nappy too! :p

I'll still have back up disposable nappies and wipes, so for long trips out and about we'd probably use them, but for day to day even the pooey ones don't smell too bad when they're in the wet bag, and you can rinse the bigger chunks off :yum:

I don't think they're that expensive, really. The Cheeky Wipes set is about £30. Branded baby wipes are anywhere up to £2.50 (although we buy Tesco value ones - 18p!), and in this house last about a week, so £30 will only keep you in branded disposable wipes for about 12 weeks.

That said, we're cheapskates in this house, so I won't be paying £30 at any rate. Make, make, make!
    Also something else to add is you can also buy bum cleaner spray for those times when water just isnt enough. There are also recipes around to make your own. Some people pre-wet them with the bum cleaner and then put them in those disposable wipe tubs or tupperware tubs....just dont pre-wet too many otherwise they get pretty manky. AND home made bum cleaner tends to go off after a few days so premade ones are quite good if you dont go through loads.