Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Osama bin Laden is dead

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Adolf Hitler died 38 years before I was born but I've heard of him...
    Adolf Hitler died 38 years before I was born but I've heard of him...

Ok, yes. However, I have seen something someone said on another forum where they said, "there are teenagers on Twitter who are asking who OBL is". So it's not totally impossible that she genuinely doesn't know.
    Ten years? Before last week I hadn't heard all that much about him for a good few years.

If you're capable of believing that a thirteen-year-old - someone with knowledge of Anne Frank and MLK - is capable of having stumbled through the last ten years without knowing who or what OBL is about, then I think our credulity levels are set very differently.

And as AR points out, you don't even have to have been born when someone was about to have heard of them.
    If you're capable of believing that a thirteen-year-old - someone with knowledge of Anne Frank and MLK - is capable of having stumbled through the last ten years without knowing who or what OBL is about, then I think our credulity levels are set very differently.

And as AR points out, you don't even have to have been born when someone was about to have heard of them.

That, or I know some very stupid people ;)
    That, or I know some very stupid people ;)

It's nothing to do with intelligence; it's to do with likelihood of exposure.

ETA: To me it seems to be the equivalent of choosing to believe my claim to be able to run a sub-ten second 100m: it aint impossible, but you'd be rather credulous to believe it.
    What difference does it make whether she knows who he is or not? The issue is that there are racist fucks asking her nasty questions to intentionally hurt her, and she obviously doesn't know how to deal with these wankers. She shouldn't have to deal with such shit so I couldn't care less if her reaction to their questioning is not particularly mature. Nit picking on her response is avoiding the real issue- that the people asking her such questions are in the wrong. It gets tiresome batting off stupid comments as an adult, so as a 13 year old child going through a difficult time (as evidenced by her posts on these boards) I am not suprised that she doesn't have a well thought out and intelligent way to communicate her distress over racial bullying.
    katralla wrote: »
    What difference does it make whether she knows who he is or not? The issue is that there are racist fucks asking her nasty questions to intentionally hurt her, and she obviously doesn't know how to deal with these wankers. She shouldn't have to deal with such shit so I couldn't care less if her reaction to their questioning is not particularly mature. Nit picking on her response is avoiding the real issue- that the people asking her such questions are in the wrong. It gets tiresome batting off stupid comments as an adult, so as a 13 year old child going through a difficult time (as evidenced by her posts on these boards) I am not suprised that she doesn't have a well thought out and intelligent way to communicate her distress over racial bullying.

:heart: times a million. It doesn't matter how she asked, what she asked or what she knows, it is about the constant racial bullying and prejudices that this poor girl has had to endure and ranted about numerous times on this site. Thank you Katralla for trying to help cupcake out. You are so good with words and advice :)
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hahaha, I don't see how that's racist though, that what I ask?
    It is possible that they were asking you because of the colour of your skin.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    It is possible that they were asking you because of the colour of your skin.

or the way you dress, or your religion. Either way it's inappropriate and you should report it. There was a story of this in the USA of a teacher asking a student was she sad her Uncle (meaning Osama) died. http://atlantapost.com/2011/05/06/teacher-asks-muslim-student-are-you-sad-your-uncle-osama-died/
    It's nothing to do with intelligence; it's to do with likelihood of exposure.

You really shouldn't be too sure what people know >>> clicky

Okay, that relates to something outside of their lifestime, whilst OBL was pretty topical. However, unless the child has an interest in current affairs then what exposure will they have had?

I'd be surprised if my 12-y-o really understands who OBL was. He doesn't play football, isn't on x-box, doesn't have Facebook, never released an Dubstep tracks and probably wasn't much cop on a skateboard/bmx. That's what interests my son.
    You really shouldn't be too sure what people know >>> clicky

Okay, that relates to something outside of their lifestime, whilst OBL was pretty topical. However, unless the child has an interest in current affairs then what exposure will they have had?

I wasn't espousing myself to any certainty on the subject; I was just speculating over the likelihood of exposure - something which I think your link speaks to. Trying not to be banal and trite: I appreciate the crux of the matter is bigotry and not how the matter is raised. I just think the situation is detracted from given the feigned ignorance and contrived manner in which is was brought up. Perhaps I'm being bit of a dick by even addressing it, but I found it frustrating to see and thought it was worth a mention; I didn't mean it to take up as much internet oxygen as it seems to have done.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    The major news networks are claiming him as the mastermind over 9/11 in the reports of his death - and people are rejoicing and "have closure" now. They shouldn't be. They're mostly using weasel words [those that care about their rep] like he was believed to be... which is still wrong.

About time he's dead, but the news coverage and the way America is reacting to it is all wrong. Killing this man won't change anything, Al-Qaeda is still a threat, their driving force is their religious beliefs, not Osama.

I agree. There are hundreds of groups with brainwashed members. It is amazing that the West is in denaial. Islam is the problem of the world. If we do not be honest and straight about that we will be at war for generations to come. This ideology was contained in the ME for over 1400 years. The West did not know anything about it. But, NOW and after 9/11 it was exposed. The agenda of this extremly dangerous system became obvious, still we are not dealing with it as national and international security threat. Why??!!
    ronyvo wrote: »
    I agree. There are hundreds of groups with brainwashed members. It is amazing that the West is in denaial. Islam is the problem of the world. If we do not be honest and straight about that we will be at war for generations to come. This ideology was contained in the ME for over 1400 years. The West did not know anything about it. But, NOW and after 9/11 it was exposed. The agenda of this extremly dangerous system became obvious, still we are not dealing with it as national and international security threat. Why??!!

That is the most rediculous thing i've ever heard. I've met hundreds of muslims, i used to work in a very minority based part of the UK and no one of them ever tried to bomb something. You need to learn the difference between Extremism and Islam.
    The truth will make you free

I am new to this forum. I am interested in the events which are taking place for the last 10 years. That is why I aimed at the subject of politics. I read few of the comments and was confused. 10 Years after 9/11 and all these terrorist attacks, STILL I do not see a full comprehension of the source of these attacks. Is it against the rules to pin point the SOURCE, which is ISLAM?
    I am Coptic (the Orthodox Christians of Egypt). I lived the islamic 'culture' for over 25 years. They were the most horrible years in my life. I was forced to study the Koran, hadiths and islamic history. So, I have a good knowledge of Islam. I, also, have the personal experience with this extremly dangerous ideology.
    I started posting in the Net on 9/12/2001. At that time there were no information about Islam in the Internet. I spent very long hours in research and writing articles and essays, and answering questions. I was called all the names in the dirty book by Muslims, eventhough I have never ever used any slurs. My aim to inform and warn of a danger, which surpasses Communism, Nasizm and fashism combined. Most of my writings are supported by surahs from the Koran and hadiths.
    I tried to post some of MY articles here, but were deleted!!
    So, another way, I guess, is to ask you folks here if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer.
    Shikari wrote: »
    That is the most rediculous thing i've ever heard. I've met hundreds of muslims, i used to work in a very minority based part of the UK and no one of them ever tried to bomb something. You need to learn the difference between Extremism and Islam.

And I think you need to understand the difference between Islam and Muslims.
    Is it against the rules to pin point the SOURCE, which is ISLAM?

Extremism. Not all Muslims do that stuff. Or if you wear a tin foil hat it was the Guvvvaament :crazyeyes
    Is it against the rules to pin point the SOURCE, which is ISLAM?.

Cause and effect aren't proven.

There have been plenty of Christian terrorists too.
    Now I lost you. Did I say ALL Muslims are that or this. My point was ISLAM is the reason and source of the violence. Of course, not ALL Muslims are terrorists. But, if your the so called "holy" book instructs and encourages to kill the infidels, how can one make a determination of any Muslim one meets is peaceful?!
    1- Yah, but it does. What do you think all that killing and destruction and rape of women all over in the name of Islam proves?

2- True, but, the holy book of a religion is the only basis to judge a religion and not those who break its commandments.
    That measns if a Christian kills he wold be commiting a sin. The opposite for a Muslim if he kills an infidel he would be rewarded with 72 virgins in paradise.

3- Besides, there are those Christians who are only Christians by name. The same with Muslims. They do not read the holy books.
    And, those who read their books and do not understand them. AND those who read their bokks and understand them and adhere of the teachings. In this case Muslims will kill....ets but, Christians will "Love your enemies".

I hope that I explained my point clearly.
    What Islam actually says is something along the lines of it being every muslims duty to protect the faith. It doesnt actually define what "protect" actually means.

The last few posters have been very ignorant of what is actually contained in the bible and the Koran. Both books are as bad as each other in places depending on the interpretation.

The Koran doesnt incite violence, the bible isnt all lovey dovey.
    What Islam actually says is something along the lines of it being every muslims duty to protect the faith. It doesnt actually define what "protect" actually means.

The last few posters have been very ignorant of what is actually contained in the bible and the Koran. Both books are as bad as each other in places depending on the interpretation.

The Koran doesnt incite violence, the bible isnt all lovey dovey.

This.

Just because someone choose to use their religion to justify their actions doesn't mean that they are correct or that we should do the same. These people are just terrorists, they would be so whether Christian, Jew or Muslim.
    Cause and effect aren't proven.

There have been plenty of Christian terrorists too.

Again, one must determine the reason and source for any terrorist's behavior. If a Christian terrorise he commits a sin, but if a Muslim terrorise and kills non-Muslim he is acting according to his faith. This is a HUGE difference. A Muslim is taught from his first year to hate the Jews and Christians. That is why those suicide bombers do what they are doing. For over 1400 years Muslims are butchering innocent people who do not want to join the evil Islam. Islam was contained in the ME. Now, the extreme terror of Islam is all over. As long as the petro-revenue is in the hands of islamic countries, the islamic terroism will not stop.
    You're taking that out of context a bit too much. Not all Muslims believe killing somebody is part of their faith. Both religions have their fair share of extremists. In the case of Islamic Extremists, those who are Muslim (not extremists) simply say they are not of the same faith but accept they follow a flawed idea of the Koran. Christians however, as I've seen so much, simply deny that anybody killing in the name of their faith is misrepresentation in the press and is the work of atheists tainting their religion, and that they actually have no faith, at least not of Christianity.

The recent Oslo bombings and shootings were done by a Christian Extremist, but as always, Christians were saying he wasn't Christian, and those that are ignorant simply said he must have been Muslim.
    Ron, I think you are being a touch racist. Can you explain to me how I have fought side by side with a muslim, who has had my back and I have had his covered. Oh by the way I'm a christian.
    It's just not true that all Christians believe acts of terrorism are sinful and all Muslims believe it's virtuous.

Both religions are peaceful, violence comes from teaching outside scripture or that takes scripture out of context.

We're still witnessing the fallout from the most serious act of terrorism in Europe in recent years and the perpetrator is said to be a Christian, as the Oklahoma bomber was. Yet I don't see people queueing up to protest outside churches or ask for 'Christianists' to be deported to Israel where they all came from. We have a tremendous double standard when it comes to religion that can only be described as thinly disguised racism.
    Ron, I think you are being a touch racist. Can you explain to me how I have fought side by side with a muslim, who has had my back and I have had his covered. Oh by the way I'm a christian.[/

AGAIN!!!
    I did not say that all Muslims are terrorists Or all Christians are peaceful.
    AGAIN!!
    The holy book of a religion is the only basis to judge a religion and not those who break its commandments.
    That means if a Christian kills he is NOT following his holy book, you must know that as a Christian; on the other hand if a Muslim kills an innocent non-Muslim he is following his so called holy book and actually, would be rewarded.
    If you need surhas from the Koran and verses from the Gospel to prove my point, please, let me know.
    AGAIN!!!
    I did not say that all Muslims are terrorists Or all Christians are peaceful.
    AGAIN!!
    The holy book of a religion is the only basis to judge a religion and not those who break its commandments.
    That means if a Christian kills he is NOT following his holy book, you must know that as a Christian; on the other hand if a Muslim kills an innocent non-Muslim he is following his so called holy book and actually, would be rewarded.
    If you need surhas from the Koran and verses from the Gospel to prove my point, please, let me know
    The bible is much worse in places than the koran is. Sorry to disappoint you.
    Its totally up to personal interpretation.

May I introduce sufism -

And

Christian terrorism