Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gluten free

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been having a lot of stomach problems lately. Really really bad... actually for quite a long time, I've just been ignoring it and it is finally unbearable. I get problems a few times a year and cutting out dairy for a week or so always helps but this time it didn't seem to help. It got a little better but then got really bad after eating dinner, and lunch today which was pasta, that is why I'm trying this. So I was going to try a week of doing gluten free to see if that helped (or to just die because I live off of bread and beer and there really isn't a point to go on if I can't have those.) I'm doing this on my own so I don't have a doctor to ask and I recall seeing people on here who go gluten free.

So, I've come across quite a comprehensive list of gluten free foods and not, though they are really specific and intense. http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html So my question is, how hardcore should I be about cutting it out for the next week? Should I just cut out the biggies, or should I really scrutinize every label to make sure nothing is on the list? I'm kind of afraid to eat anything but fruits and vegis for the next week :p

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to see your doctor before doing something like this.

Gluten free bread is very bland. It also crumbles easily. I once had it and had use a spoon (yes, really!) to eat it with. Although toasting it first helped.
    It is a good idea to see a doctor if you can but if you're just trying to test for an intolerance the best thing to do is cut it all out and see if the symptoms go away.

Don't cut it out for good without speaking to a doctor.
    I don't have the option to see a doctor at the moment or any time in the near future.

Plus, I'm just testing out different eating habbits, hardly anything unhealthy that has to be monitored.

I just want things to be bearable. So you'd suggest cutting it all out, nitpicking through each label?

I suppose it is a good thing, will get me to eat more natural healthy foods as it will be easier that way ;)
    To check for intolerance the first thing to do is to cut out entirely and then build up bit-by-bit to see what you can handle.

It's not an exact science, but it's what I did when I thought I was lactose intolerant (on the advice of a GP). I suppose it this stage it might not be a massive problem if you can't see a doctor but when you're able it's worth doing because there might be something like coeliac's disease going on which would need to be monitored. It sucks you're not able to see someone at the moment, I forget how much I take the NHS for granted.
    IBS and food intolerances can sometimes be related.

You may find that you can have a bit of gluten with no problem. I can - but only something like a sandwich and no more wheat for the day.

You have to check everything. I can't have most crisps, most flavourings, most biscuits, sausages and other prepared meats, etc. (something like chicken is fine - as long as it's just chicken with nothing added to it)
    I don't get cramps, just bloated and really gassy.

I ate nothing but coffee, fruits, vegies, raw nuts and seeds and that peanut butter made from only peanuts, eggs, hummus and a dairy/gluten/everything free probiotic supplements and felt really good today, yesterday and most of the day before, no bloating or farts.

But now super lame. I ate a plain, absoutly nothing on it piece of baked boneless skinless chicken breast and am now bloated and gassy :( I give up. At least I can start searching for work next week so hopefully I can get something with insurance and get this checked out! I just hope they don't want me to bring a bag of poop :p

I looked up IBS, but I'm a pretty regular gal and don't have any of the symptoms related to that minus the two mentioned.

Thanks for your replies :)
    I think you really need to see your doctor. I have wheat intolerance and kept a food diary for a few weeks. I didn't always have a upset stomach after eating wheat.
    Ok I need a generic "it will be ok, doctors see worse" comments.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I suppose it takes more than a week's worth of a diet to tell but really, I get bad with ants on a log, an orange, a regular carb filled meal... it doesn't matter. I can be good with a loaf of bread and a pound of cheese and chocolate and get gassy over an orange or vice versa, I'm making a doctors appt.

My doc works two offices and is only in the one I'm used to W and Th so I don't have an appt till the 18th... so as much condolences or help until then? Though I'm drunk now, when I made the appt, so by the time I get there, I'll probably not mention any of it.
    Write it down. I always forget details if I'm not asked specific questions.

Also, consider what kind of activity you generally do after eating that might have an impact.

It will be ok, doctors see much worse!
    i would be very strict for a week or two, and then gradually introduce things back and see if they have an effect. You may find the benefits to your feeling of wellbeing outweigh the fact its a bit of a PITA. It might be an idea to try and concentrate on what you can still have, rather than stress about what you cant, and if theres somethng that you really enjoy that you cant really have, try and think of a semi-acceptable substitute - ie vodka and coke instead of a beer, or gin and tonic or a glass of wine.
    You can get gluten free pasta which is fine, and i believe some gluten free breads are better than others, but maybe just dont have bread
    hey
    i have a gluten intolerance and i have not consummed any wheat or gluten product for almost 3 years.
    i suggest cutting out anything with traces of gluten because i had the same problem you had and i found out that stopping wheat helped immensly.

your diet doesnt need to be blend.try rice with a chicken stir-fry. My favorite food type is basically all asian food since they barely use gluten
    It will be fine, and doctors hear and see far worse.

At least if you've made the appointment then you'll have to think of something to say when you turn up. Write it down, odds on you won't need it but if yuo've got it written in your pocket then that should help prompt you into saying it.

Also, an alternative could be 'I seem to be getting a lot of wind' rather than anything about dead squirrels....
    You can get gluten free pasta which is fine, and i believe some gluten free breads are better than others, but maybe just dont have bread

:yes: I find gluten bread to ok - although it falls apart easily.
    toasting any gluten free bread changes the texture completely. its quite amazing actually since toasted GF bread has almost the same texture of normal bread
    Toasting GF bread also stops it from falling apart...