Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job or work experience - what would you do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just been offered 2-8 weeks work experience with Cancer research UK. I've also just been offered a job with the deafblind charity, Sense. The work experience is working within their charity shops and the job is a receptionist based job.

If I go for the job, I'll be doing 20 hours per week and will have to move to Barnet, London. If I do the work experience, it'll be a 20 minute journey and is 25-30 hours per week. I would still have to sign on and job seek. If I go for the job, I can also attend college and do my GCSE English.

With retail, I'm using it more as a back up thing just in case I don't find a job within admin or IT.

What would you do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I worked for years in charity shops and the retail sector don't take it seriously as experience they see it as a sort of 'playing', which is bullshit really. So I'm not sure the work experience is worth it, to be honest.
    Are you really in a position to move to London and support yourself on a 20 hr/week job?
    Are you really in a position to move to London and support yourself on a 20 hr/week job?

Which is what my parents said. I would get around £8k per year before tax and NI and then there's working tax credits on top.
    So have you worked out what your take home would be and if you could live off that?
    I struggled in London on 11K. Admittedly I was ineligible for Working Tax Credits because of my previous salary but I don't imagine you'll get much more than 3K in tax credits.

Sorry I realise I sound like I'm being negative about all your options, I'm not I'm just being honest!
    If you can afford it (and thats a big if, that amount of money might not even be enough for a years rent in London) then I think the job sounds better and like it will give you more useful experience.
    See Melian if you would like to opt for a job then the difficulty which you may face in getting a job is how many years or months of work experience you have in that particular field and various other difficulties may arise simultaneously which may leave you exhausted. So, I suggest it is better to opt for job experience in your preferred field first and then look for a job so that you can get good offers from reputed companies.
    Anderson wrote: »
    See Melian if you would like to opt for a job then the difficulty which you may face in getting a job is how many years or months of work experience you have in that particular field and various other difficulties may arise simultaneously which may leave you exhausted. So, I suggest it is better to opt for job experience in your preferred field first and then look for a job so that you can get good offers from reputed companies.

This!
    I went for the work experience, which comes to an end next week. (where on earth have the last 8 weeks gone?)

My boss says that because I haven't found a job yet, I should take 2 weeks break and then I can carry on volunteering with him.