Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What should I do now? 3rd date coming up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

I met a lovely girl from a dating site 3 weeks ago and we had the most awesome date ever. We visited lots of great places in London, then went to a winebar and got very drink! I could tell she was interested as she held my hand sitting outside. Afterwards I kissed her and it felt great. We went to a nightclub and then I stayed round hers for the night. We got intimate but did not sleep with each other.

Had our second date on Monday and watched a film and went to the theatre. We had a great time. We are meeting again next week to go bowling and also I suggested one of us maybe cooks dinner and she was OK with that!

It does seem to be going really well. I just wanted to ask how many dates and how long should two people date before they become exclusive. I would usually say a month, but considering we have been intimate already, Im not sure how long. She even said herself she does not mess people around and I am the say way with people. I cant see myself dating or seeing anyone else now. We are in contact everyday

I also still have a lot of paranoia. She is a lovely girl and I do believe she is interested, but I have been messed around a lot by women in the past and I dont want to make it fall that way. Its very possible she could have met other guys but my heart says thats probably not true.

So my two questions are:

When should I bring this "exclusive" topic up with her, considering we have 2 more dates next week? I dont want to rush things but at the same time, there is no point dragging things on and its nice to know where two people stand!

When should I delete my dating profile?

Comments

• Options
    The issue of exclusivity is not something that I've ever discussed with a partner or potential partner, it has just come about organically and I think that is the best way. Of course your situation is slightly different due to having met on a dating site, which means that you are both actively putting yourself on the market for multiple suitors. However, I think the same basic principles of romance building should apply.

If she is interested in pursuing you and you alone then she will show that, you don't need to ask for her exclusivity. As long as your actions and intentions match hers then you will both focus on each other for as long as you are making each other happy.

Is there some way that you can deactivate your dating profile without deleting it? It would be a shame to lose all of your information in the event that this doesn't work out as hoped. If you can deactivate your profile then it would be a nice gesture, and it's something that you could mention to her. You wouldn't even need to expand on that much, I'm sure she would understand that you deactivating your profile was a statement of intent.

That might be a simple way around directly addressing exclusivity. I would never set timescales on the tying down of a relationship. As I said before, it should be an organic process. Feelings develop as the develop, and commitment follows.

You say that you have been messed around a lot before and I'm sure we all have at one point or another, some more so and some less so. Don't let that become a factor that hinders your progress. Yes you should learn from bad experiences but you shouldn't learn to fear taking chances. We get hurt in life, that's unavoidable. Your aim is to learn better ways to cope. If you close yourself off to risk then you close yourself off to opportunity. Have faith that if you get hurt again you will survive. If you can get rid of your fear then you will exude a greater level of confidence and will appear a lot more relaxed and assured.

Just my thoughts...
  • Options
    I personally would concentrate my efforts on this person, its unfair (no matter how you met) IMHO to ever hedge your bets with different people.
  • Options
    Im just so paranoid though. I just dont want to go on endless dates really.
  • Options
    I would assume if I was dating someone that they were prepared to be exclusive.
  • Options
    I would ask. Like, "Do you feel like we could be exclusive, I'd really like to give you and me a go?" Something like that.
  • Options
    Yeah I can deactivate my profile and have done that already :) We met again for about 30 mins on her lunch break yesterday. Part of me is saying I am being very paranoid because she is obviously interested to meet 3 times, but I am just not 100%. She is lovely and we are meeting again next week. Hopefully it will allow us the chance to get closer
  • Options
    If it doesnt work out you can always reactivate your profile.
  • Options
    I wonder if I'm just worrying for nothing . I've had 2 really good dates so far . For most people things would just naturally progress into a relationship but this is me im talking about lol. Worst luck with women
  • Options
    I think it does sound as though you may be worrying about nothing.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I think it does sound as though you may be worrying about nothing.

Sorry I put some incorrect information on my first post. We only met 2 weeks ago (not 3 ) but have been speaking for over a month before.
  • Options
    You could be worrying about nothing. Just go with the flow.
  • Options
    Well I was speaking to her online today (she was on her phone!) we had a nice convo and then I asked if shes free to meet wednesday. I did not hear anything from her for 30 mins and she has gone offline, however she is still logged online on the dating site. Which is making me very paranoid now :(

Having said that she has just come back online lets see what she says though she has not replied.

EDIT: Still nothing. I just want some honesty :( Am I getting the cold shoulder? Ive got a very bad feeling about this
  • Options
    Some people do stay logged on; but may be doing other stuff. I do normally talk on MSN whilst doing other stuff.
  • Options
    She did text back yesterday saying sorry she was busy helping sister with exam preparation. I said ok and we continued our conversation by text. I asked her again about Wednesday and she stopped replying. I have got the message now , she is avoiding answering the question and does not want to meet :(

It's not a coincidence she has stopped talking twice after I asked her if she wants to meet up. I know women all too well and this has happened so many times
  • Options
    Hi jamjam,

Sorry to hear she didn't reply back, from what you have mentioned it seemed like she was interested :( Have you heard from her since?

Perhaps you could send her an email or text telling her you thought this was going well and hope all is well - and that if she doesn't want to meet anymore to say so? Maybe she will reply and tell you what has been happening with her recently and why she has been this way, or perhaps she will never reply - either way this could give you some kind of closure.

It's hard to feel things were going well and then suddenly the person reacts differently and distant. Keep your spirits up, online dating works for many people, so perhaps put your profile back on, and start looking for someone new.

*hug*
  • Options
    We have been in contact since and we are meeting up on Tuesday apparently to goto the cinema. Im still not 100% sure about this. She kept not replying about the cinema and then the other day we were talking online I asked her if she wants to see that film and she says yeah sure.

Yesterday we was texting random stuff, and I asked her if she wanted to get dinner after the cinema so she doesnt have to cook when she finishes work. And she didnt reply. We were having a 30 min text conversation, but again any reference to meeting up, she stops contact. I cannot understand this.

She has admitted recently she is thinking of moving back to her home country as she has been in the city for just over 4 months and is finding it difficult going out and making friends. Im not sure if we can use that reason for her avoiding certain questions.

What do you think? She says she is an honest person but something does not seem right, or it seems like shes hiding something
  • Options
    Stop texting, lol.
  • Options
    I think you two need to talk.
  • Options
    I think you two need to talk.

And what should I say to her
  • Options
    I would ask her what's going on. What exactly do you want from this relationship?
  • Options
    B.Fonzie wrote: »
    Stop texting, lol.

Well she did say we will talk later on the phone but guess what - we haven't. She was in London all day and she said she was on the train back home an hour ago. I have rang her just now as she should be back home and she did not pick up.
  • Options
    Well I Would like a relationship. But I don't want to push things too fast and I don't want to become clingy. Also she is not sure about staying here but from what we talked about today, I think she will.

Or should I wait till "meeting" up on Tuesday . Ignore her until then ?
  • Options
    No like ignore her completely. Move on. Don't text or call or anything. Just let it be. Other girls are out there. If she's attracted to you, she'll let you know through some type of communication. Secondly, don't rush in these things looking for girlfriends. You probably wouldn't even wait a month if she gave you the option. That's desperate and it'll rub her the wrong way. The Fonz says get to know her first. Regardless of how they are portrayed, dating sites aren't meant to build marriages. They're meant to build DATES. So DATE.

PEOPLE.

LOTS OF THEM.
  • Options
    But I have known her for over a month and have met 3 times so surely things are going well? She promised we can talk on the phone today, as she was really tired when she got back in yesterday. Hmmmm Ive heard that before. This is the 3rd time she has promised we will talk on the phone so if we dont speak today, then I know she is messing me about. Like most women have :(
  • Options
    She's not worth it. She is messing you about. You need to move o and stop contacting her.

If things were going well, you two would've spoken by now I think.
  • Options
    She's not worth it. She is messing you about. You need to move o and stop contacting her.

If things were going well, you two would've spoken by now I think.

Is it even worth confronting her? I mean we are "meeting" on Tuesday. She has even told me in person that shes more of a text person and likes texting. MAybe she wants to avoid confrontation by saying "can we stick to just using text"
  • Options
    Well it looks like no phone call for tonight .

I'm not gonna message her , she knows we are meeting up on tuesday so I'm gonna leave it as that. If she cancels then it's her loss