Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I went off sick just before my holidays kicked in

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am currently on sick after bring in hospital, I have all the relevant sick notes its kidney stones/pain I am too much in pain to go back to work - however Me and the girlfriend planned before all my sickness happened to go down south to see her parents (My manager knew I was going down south) we went down at the time I booked off on holiday but upon my return i am still in as in much pain as I was at the begging so I have continued/extended using works personnel welbeing company thats called Firstcare - we ring in to them and they put you through to a nurse to asses you over the phone and they send an e-mail to my line manager to advise them about my sick time at work - my manager has contacted me on his personal mobile when I came out of hospital because I sent him a message saying that I am home from hospital but I have tried to contact him back via text and ask him for his direct number to advise of further extenstions but he hasnt replied yet and- I am paranoid about work saying if your good enough to go down south your good enough to work it wasn't much of a holiday sitting outside not bring able to do anything cause of the pain what are my legal rights please can you let me know cause I am worried about my job

Please can some one tell me about how I stand with the law.

Thanks

Rick

Comments

• Options
    I don't think you can take it immediately but I do think that you can get a doctor's note and request the holiday time back.

I wouldn't recommend you go awol, I know it sucks but if you're manager's understanding they might let you take more short-term holiday.
  • Options
    I don't quite understand the question.

Is your concern about:

1. whether you'll get in trouble with your employer for being down South when you're supposed to be on holiday from work.

2. Getting in trouble for being down south on holiday while you were ill, and still being down there now you are supposed to be back at work.

3. Problems over getting ill during your holiday time and not being well enough to go back to work at the end of your holiday.

4. Being ill during your holiday from work and potentially being able to get your holiday entitlement back.

5. Something else.
  • Options
    Sorry - what I mean is I went into hospital before my planned holidays and my boss knew I was going down south and I rung him and told him that my doctor gave me 2 wks sick note and I am worried that I went down south whilst inhand of a sicknote I just went to the doctors today and he has given me another 2 wks sicknote. (my work place will give me my holidays back)

I am just bothered about facing disaplinary action because I wasnt at home when I had a valid sicknote.
  • Options
    Why would your boss even know?
  • Options
    Because our team is not that big and we all are like mates its his boss who pulls all the strings I wouldnt trust them to p""s on me if i was on fire lol
  • Options
    Sorry - what I mean is I went into hospital before my planned holidays and my boss knew I was going down south and I rung him and told him that my doctor gave me 2 wks sick note and I am worried that I went down south whilst inhand of a sicknote I just went to the doctors today and he has given me another 2 wks sicknote. (my work place will give me my holidays back)

I am just bothered about facing disaplinary action because I wasnt at home when I had a valid sicknote.

You had a sicknote which excuses you from work, you were not at work and you had a sicknote. I dont see where the problem lies.
  • Options
    If you were ill, and you had a sicknote, then the only way you should get in trouble is for not being ill.

It sounds reasonable that you are definitely ill and there's good evidence for that, so the only question is whether someone kicks up a fuss about you being somewhere other than your own home while you were ill.

If you had a trip to visit family planned already, travelling with others, then it's not unreasonable that you were still taken to a relatives, while ill, so you could continue to be looked after.
  • Options
    Hey there,

Thanks for posting your query on the boards :)

It doesn't seem as if you've done anything wrong as the other users have said as you were entitled to holiday and sick leave; and your employer has raised an issue with this.

However, you are concerned about your employer taking action against you due to you being away from home while you were on sick leave. There doesn't seem to be a problem with this, as Scary Monster says you were being looked after by your family and this may have been better than you staying home alone.

If you are worried about this situation and would like further legal advice, then you may like to call the Community Legal Advice helpline. They can offer free and confidential information (0845 345 4 345 - they are open from 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday and between 9am and 12.30pm on Saturday). They offer a call back service - check out their website for more information.

Hope this helps but please feel free to post any further questions and we'll be happy to help.

:)