Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ian Tomlinson "unlawfully killed"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today the verdict was delivered in the inquest into the death of Ian Tomlinson during the G20 protests in London on 1 April 2009. The verdict of the inquest was that Ian Tomlinson was unlawfully killed. The jury decided that Police Constable Simon Harwood used "excessive and unreasonable" force. The Crown Prosecution Service will now conduct a thorough review into whether PC Harwood should now be prosecuted and the Metrapolitan Police have advised that PC Harwood will also be subject to misconduct proceedings.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hurrah !
    Bring on a trial, eh?
    Should be interesting. I wonder what cock-and-bull reason Keir Starmer will use this time to protect PC Harwood? The last reason ("there's dispute between experts"- yeah, between two pathologists who know what they're doing and one pathologist who's been struck off...) wil;l take some beating.
    I have no faith that anything will come of this.
    Good result. And I can't help thinking that disseminating Simon Harwood's name helped to keep the police authorities from wrapping this case up in red tape. Sadly the same can't be said for chief inspector Claire Clark: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2011/mar/28/fortnum-mason-protesters-uk-uncut-video

But telling protesters a bare-faced lie isn't quite on the same level as killing someone, I suppose.