Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

POTUS Born in the US of A *shocker*

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Seriously, is this all that's important in US politics these days. Or have the right wing really lost their fucking marbles?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They are going into over drive to create a new conspiracy. However I reckon that now the proof has been provided, many will refuse to acknowledge its legitimacy to try and save face.
    Let's just say if he was white, it never would've been a question.

Oh, and the American right never had any marbles to begin with. They're so far up the arse of certain corporations that they can lick their tonsils. All of the bullshittery that goes with that (religion, abortion, etc) is just cover for what is the rampant vandalism of a country in the name of narrow corporate interests.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    They are going into over drive to create a new conspiracy. However I reckon that now the proof has been provided, many will refuse to acknowledge its legitimacy to try and save face.

Of course they will. This was never a position based on any evidence to begin with, so the idea that providing evidence will shut them up is stupid. Maybe it'll stop media outlets from giving them any sort of voice though. But I doubt it.
    Let's just say if he was white, it never would've been a question.

Or if his name was Fred, or Jack or Richard.
    They'll probably go back to "is he a Muslim or not" debate... along with the "is this authentic or not" debate.
    It's mostly a fringe that has been making an issue of the birth certificate. Anyone of the right wing of any merit that I know has disregarded that theory. Hell, even Bill O'Reilly said it's a non-issue.
    It speaks volumes that people like this are actually given a platform for their views.
    I'd certainly rather people with absurd beliefs to have a platform than to be debarred a platform. Wouldn't you agree?
    I'd certainly rather people with absurd beliefs to have a platform than to be debarred a platform. Wouldn't you agree?

Yes. But this isn't about them not having a platform but rather about them using the platform responsibly and to discuss real issues rather than irrelevant ones. Wit h all the problems which the US faces, at home and abroad, you'd think that Trump (and the right) would be more interested in correcting them than in seeing a birth certificate - do they really think he'd have been allowed to stand without checks being made?

As Obama said at the Correspondents Dinner, next they will investigate the moon landings...
    Yes. But this isn't about them not having a platform but rather about them using the platform responsibly and to discuss real issues rather than irrelevant ones. Wit h all the problems which the US faces, at home and abroad, you'd think that Trump (and the right) would be more interested in correcting them than in seeing a birth certificate - do they really think he'd have been allowed to stand without checks being made?

As Obama said at the Correspondents Dinner, next they will investigate the moon landings...

That would normally be the left who believe in that, ie it is Nixon's cover-up. The other big conspiracy theory of course is that Bush is behind 9/11 and plenty of seemingly rational people believe that - they're not in the main Republicans

Though the UK shouldn't be too cocky - we've still got plenty of people who think Kelly was murdered by MI5 on the orders of Blair and that they also bombed the tube.

As conspiracies go the 'birthers' one is pretty harmless... its only suggesting that Obama wasn't born in the US rather than secretly murdering loads of his own citizens.
    Oh I don't know. Doesn't it effectively question every single decision he has made since coming into office, plus huge electoral fraud on a massive scale...

As for the moon landings thing, that was more a reference to the idiocy of the "birthers" approach rather than a reference to their political perspective.
    Oh I don't know. Doesn't it effectively question every single decision he has made since coming into office, plus huge electoral fraud on a massive scale...

As oppossed to accusing him of murdering voters for political advantage?

Do you really think that murder is the same as lying where you were born?
    Hasn't he been Commander in Chief for a little while now? What about all the laws he's signed?

The suggestion is one of a foreign coup, in effect.
    The suggestion isn't a foreign coup, but that he's lied. It's not claiming he's murdered his own people for political gain, which I find a much worse accusation

As an aside even if it turned out he wasn't born in Hawai it may not be clear that he would be US President The constitution states
    No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States

It says nothing about being born in the US - McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone. I think a half-way competent lawyer would show that as his mother was a US citizen and he acquired citzenship at birth.

I certainly agree that it's a stupid issue to focus all of your attention on, but that's just part of the political discourse. Both parties talk about stupid shit all the time. :x
    I certainly agree that it's a stupid issue to focus all of your attention on, but that's just part of the political discourse. Both parties talk about stupid shit all the time. :x

That is so true, though there is also a difference between stupid stuff and petty stuff.
    They do it for both stupid and petty shit. Often times, things that are stupidly petty. Haha.