Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bolognese

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I notice that no one is advocating milk, chicken livers or star anise...
    No, No and No.
    Seriously. The milk gives the sauce a creamier taste and a different texture, the chicken livers intensify the richness of the flavour and the sulphur compounds from the star anise enhance the 'meatiness' of the dish.
    Liver?! :yuck:

Just an update: i havent gotten round to trying to make bolognese again but am planning to soon, recently had alot of lasagne made for me so may need a break for a while. Also have just discovered the wonder that is passata, its so much better than plain ol chopped tomatoes so i reckon that will help alot when i make it
    I was just thinking of suggesting passata to negate the tinned taste
    Passata is the shizz, I wouldn't use any other tomato base when making Bolognese. Adding a knob of butter and a small amount of milk also helps to give the sauce a really nice taste and texture, it helps to mellow the acidity in the tomatoes without having to add sugar.
    Quite. If you add the milk after browning the mince, you almost 'protect' the meat from the acidity of the wine and the tomatoes.
    Nice, i'll try adding a dash of milk or butter as well :)
    I did it! :hyper: Got a batch simmering away right now, and it was alot easier than i made it out to be! Thanks for the help everyone!
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I did it! :hyper: Got a batch simmering away right now, and it was alot easier than i made it out to be! Thanks for the help everyone!

Well done Lexi! :) Hope it turns out okay :)