Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cervical Screening Test (one for the girls)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got my letter through on saturday saying I needed to go for my first smear test. I read the little booklet that came with it so I know what is supposed to happen. But does anyone whos done it before have any tips they feel like sharing that might help me get through it? It sounds horrible and Im already scared.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it's a tiny bit uncomfortable but it's over in seconds, then you can pull your knicks up and go about your merry day :D

it is a bit daunting going for your first one, where are you having it done? the practice nurse at my doctors always does mine (i gotta have one every six months atm :/) and she is so lovely, if you mention to whoever it is that you're feeling nervous I'm sure they'll put you at ease. it's just so worth a minute of slight emarassment compared to what could be happening if you don't have one :]
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find wearing a skirt is less embarassing - you can just take your pants off, and then at the last minute, when you're on the table, pull it up a bit, but you're not in the surgery with no bottoms on, which you would be if you had to take your pants and trousers off.

As Firey says, it's really quick and easy - and the nurses will do loads of them every day - and they're usually really good at maintaining your dignity and making you comfortable. Just look at the ceiling, think of something else and it will be done before you know it :)