Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Commute to work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondered, how long are peoples commute to work? Hate it? Love it? Soul destroying? Worth it for the job?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    An hour each way. Love it and loathe it in equal measure.

Loathe - it's two unproductive hours in my day, in traffic, surrounded by idiot drivers.
    Love - I get time to wind myself up for the day, and then wind down at the end of the day. The music's pretty damned good too!
    I don't commute but I spend a lot of time walking around the city between university buildings and I like the time I spend listening to audiobooks. Except when I get too absorbed and forget that drivers don't observe traffic lights and nearly get killed.
    I get the northern line, which isnt too bad for 30 minutes. Its always packed and hot, but hey - at least its not the Jubilee line :razz:
    I've heard and believe that people who work closer to home are happiest, so I'm going for an under 20min commute.
    40 mins to an hour, depends on traffic. HATE it. Mainly because of the traffic though, spend a lot of time sat in jams. Also because it shortens my lie ins and my evenings. Which is why I'm moving! I wouldn't want to be right on the doorstep of work, but 30 mins max would be perfect.
    About a literal 3 minutes walk at a slow pace.
    15 minutes either way. I work outside of the city so I'm always against the flow of traffic
    Just enough time for a fag and a can of monster. Possibly the largest contributing factor to my apathetic approch to job hunting.
    Between 9 and 50 minutes depending on what time I leave, in the car. 30 mins if I cycle, but then need to add shower time onto that.

Generally happy with it, usually takes about 25 mins which is enough time to chill out, listen to the radio and have a bit of me time. Only loathe it when the traffics doing things at the wrong time. It's usually hugely predictable, but on the days it's not it's irritating. If I leave at 16:45 that should be a 25 min drive, am not happy if it takes 50 mins. Shouldn't have that length of journey unless I leave after 17:00.
    If I drive, it's between 30 and 50 minutes, depending on how many complete tools get in my way on the A1 Gateshead Western Bypass.

I don't normally drive, so it takes about an hour, depending on whether Stagecoach and East Coast trains stick to their timetable or decide to treat it as a work of fiction. If it all works well it's a 20-25 minute bus ride, 5-10 minutes to switch from the bus to the train, a 15 minute train ride and a 15 minute walk. I like it, I get to drink coffee, admire the pretty girls on the train and piss about on Facebook.
    About 30 minutes by motorbike across a busy city. Fun in dry season. Massive pain in the arse during wet season.
    aout 15 mins walk. Love it. Just long enough that when it's freezing you aren't out for too long, but long enough it wakes you up on the way to work. And is lovely when warm too :)
    20 minute drive and then 10 minute walk - sometimes i love it, sometimes its just too long! Especially when most of the drive is 60 limit country lanes with barely any places to overtake and theres always somebody doing 30 when you just wanna go home
    For me its about 40 mins by train. 5 min walk at both ends. Its more the cost that bothers me than the time.
    about 30 - 45 mins on one train with a 5 - 10 min walk at each end - i love it i get time to read a book and chill out - I really missed my commute when i was on maternity leave...
    About half an hour in the morning (Bus is an express, commuter-based one), on the way home it can take 30-60 mins depending on the bus route I use and the time I leave the office. It takes me up to 90 mins to get too/from uni (only about ten miles from my house) depending on bus routes/time of day.