Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm Lost

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't know if this is the right place for this but forgive me I am new to this, I thought I would share my life story, although its not that interesting, its actually quite tragic :eek2:
I am in a bit of a crappy situation and I don't know what to do, cut a long story short, I recently (4 weeks ago) had to leave home because of violence.
I left in quite a hurry but was told I could not get in anywhere such as a hostel or refuge because I am a student and cannot claim any benefits. I am currently living with a friend but can't stay here forever :no:
I'm stuck, I have nowhere to go, I am homeless, LIFE SUCKS :crying:
I also, like some people here, self harm and is something that has recently got worse. Sometimes I feel okay and other times I can't see any point in carrying on.
I just don't know what to do,
I'm stuck, I'm lost.
Please help I feel like I'm going crazy :crazyeyes

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey hmmm7 :wave:

Welcome to the boards, sorry to hear that you're having such a rubbish time recently. Asides from what must have been really stressful having to leave home, being homeless is alot of pressure, it's no wonder you're feeling this way *hug*

Where did you go to get housing advice?

dp :heart:
    Thank you for replying :)
    I went to my local housing office where I live, but they advised me that I couldn't get any other help from them except being on the waiting list for a flat which could take from months to years :(
    I have also emailed shelter today to see if they can help, I'm just waiting for a reply from them.
    Glad you've contacted Shelter, let us know if they're able to help, I'm sure they can signpost you if nothing else! Also you could try your local citizen's advice bureau, if you take a look at thesite home page there's a local advice finder on the bottom right, there may be an organisation able to offer some help too. There's alot of different factors that affect what you can access age, how much you earn etc

Still waiting for Shelter to get back to me, guessing it will take a while with bank holidays and easter.
    Just found out today I have to leave my friends house because its not safe to stay there anymore.
    Don't know what else I can do, I have searched and searched for options but I can't even get into student accommodation because the term ends in about a month :(
    :crying:
  • Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Hi Hmmm7
    I just thought I'd check in and see how you're doing and saw you just posted saying Shelter hasn't got back to you yet. I was wondering if you've tried using the local advice finder to see if there's a local organisation that can help you. You've mentioned violence and not feeling safe a couple of times - if you feel you are at risk of violence you may be able to find a refuge locally which might help you if you explain your situatin to them. The bank holiday is probably the reason Shelter's not got back to you so if you can hang in there a couple of days hopefully you'll get some advice from them.
    I also saw you said you were feeling like self-harming and that recently this has got worse. I'm sorry to hear that and realise that the stress you're under is probably contributing to you feeling down. This Q&A gives specific advice about ways to find help which might be useful. We also have a big selection of articles about dealing with self harm which I hope might help you.

These links aren't coming out in preview so I might post them again if they haven't worked.

Take care and let us know how you get on,

Emma
    I can't get into a refuge because I can't afford to pay for it and am not eligible for any benefits. I have had a look for other organisations but it just comes up with where I have been trying which is my local council. I feel like I'm going round in circles :banghead: and I really do not want to end up on the streets.
    Hang in there, I know you've probably already done this but have you checked your eligibilty for housing benefit? If you're earning a low wage you amy still be entitled to some. Also did you check you eligibility for benefits since leaving home? Again sorry if it's stuff you've already been over just want to check.

yes, my council checked if i would be eligible since i left home, i don't have any wage at all because i don't have a job, but i do get student loans as I am doing a degree.
    But they said that this alone won't be enough for me to live on and I need to prove that I can afford to live on my own before they can place me higher on the housing list.

I am waiting for student finance to get back to me aswell because of a change in circumstances but they are not exactly fast in sorting things out especially as my term ends in a month :(
    Only full-time students with disabilities or are parents can claim benefits.

Have you looked on the various sites such as rightmove for house / flat shares?
    No, I did look into student houses but its too late for that. If I did look into shared houses I would also lose my place on the housing list which would probably mean I would be in the same situation in a few months time.
    Speak to housing at your uni too, they might be able to put you up over the summer. Mine did one summer when I was homeless. I had to pay but, it was summer - no studies, so I just worked more hours...
    Apply for money via http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Extrahelp/DG_171615 access to learning fund. Even if you have applied before, you'r situation has changed so apply again and do it soon.
    Look for some help with getting a deposit together for a room here http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/tenancy_deposits/bond_schemes
    Thank you for the links.
    I do get the access to learning fund through my uni until I get my student loan but not enough for a hostel/refuge, its more for travel to the uni and food while im there etc.
    My Uni also don't offer accommodation through the summer, I have tried them and they don't offer it over easter OR summer! :no: