Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CMHT query.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
*I posted this on another forum but wanted to get some more responses from people who may have experienced/been there and have done that..*

Potentially triggering?

A question about CMHT (Community Mental Health Team) and the issue of suicide etc.

In essence I finally got the chance to have CBT via the CMHT in my area after being referred after a series of unfortunate events.

This bit might be triggering..

So in my assessment I wasn't completely honest when it came to the whole suicide and plans etc bit, I let them know I was suicidal but didn't mention I had a plan and a date..no 'means' at the current moment..I guess its not a major deal compared to if I did (not extremely immediate time wise)(things were and are still rough but my friend told me I need to mention it as soon as really..), I know I should of but beforehand but I just clammed up when I got asked.

I have had a few appointments since but I was just wondering if I mentioned it 'the whole plan and date thing' in my appointment in late April/early May what would happen? I'm 18+ btw. I wanna mention it..to help me, but I fear that it will just be completely taken out of proportion, which is why i'm reluctant to mention it but then at the same time as I said before I kinda wanna try and get myself sorted.

Any replies/experiences etc - I would be grateful. Thanks. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    It depends what you want from disclosure, really, as to whether you should disclose.

If by "taken seriously" you mean "sectioned" then that's not all that likely, they avoid sections wherever possible, but they will listen to your plans and treat them as though you actually will go through with it. So it depends if you actually want that. I would say that you probably should disclose as I think you want to be better- you say you do- and the more honest you are the more value you can get from the therapy.
  • Options
    My recommendation would be to be as honest and open as possible with the CMHT. The only way they can support you best is if they know what's going on, and if you're not telling them that then they won't get able to help you as well as they might otherwise.
  • Options
    My recommendation would be to be as honest and open as possible with the CMHT. The only way they can support you best is if they know what's going on, and if you're not telling them that then they won't get able to help you as well as they might otherwise.

It's not fun but it's the only way.
  • Options
    It depends what you want from disclosure, really, as to whether you should disclose.

If by "taken seriously" you mean "sectioned" then that's not all that likely, they avoid sections wherever possible, but they will listen to your plans and treat them as though you actually will go through with it. So it depends if you actually want that. I would say that you probably should disclose as I think you want to be better- you say you do- and the more honest you are the more value you can get from the therapy.

Hi - Cheers for the reply.

I don't know what I want from disclosure really, technically its reaching out and as said before i'm trying to sort myself out really.

Tbh I know sectioning etc wouldn't occur.. but was just wondering what could possibly happen at worst and at best..

Thanks for the input. :thumb:
  • Options
    If you're trying to sort yourself out then being open with CMHT is the best way forward.
  • Options
    Tbh I know sectioning etc wouldn't occur.. but was just wondering what could possibly happen at worst and at best..

It probably won't make much difference immediately, except to what treatment they recommend long-term.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    It probably won't make much difference immediately, except to what treatment they recommend long-term.

:yes:

you'll find that very little you say will shock them. if you tell them that you are thinking about suicide they won't suddenly start panicking or anything, but they might give you treatment for people who are suicidal or give you more regular appointments. i've been to therapy and told them that i wanted to die that day and the member of staff didn't even blink. basically, the more honest you are, the more they can help you. if you hide things from them then you won't benefit from the treatment as much as you would if you told the truth. especially with CBT, if you talk about feeling suicidal they can teach you ways to cope with the feelings.