Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Driving Annoyances

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Deserves its own thread.

I hate when people drive up my arse- do they think it's going to make me go faster?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Generally it makes me drive slower when people do it. If 30mph's too slow, then 20 is the perfect speed, or even 15mph.

However the next old codger I come across doing 30mph on a trunk road because they're too old, doddery and stupid to go faster is going to have me leaning on the horn behind them until they get the fuck out of my way. As is anyone driving a caravan. As for people who put "Little Princess on Board" or "Man Utd fan on board" in their car, they're positively asking to be rammed off the road into a tree and then to die in a fiery fireball of fire.

Needless to say I commute to work on the train.
    The sun's out, and so are all the horse riders and cyclists- sigh.
    I don't drive so I belong to those most hated categories of road user - cyclist or pedestrian. However, I use the road carefully and observe signals so it really pisses me off when I can't cross at a crossing with the lights in my favour because some knobhead thinks it's ok to park across it so he can be 1m nearer the junction... :mad:
    People who drive slow. The last time this happened, my dad had to brake suddenly. I was looking for something in the glove compartment and hit my head. :(
    The only cyclists I mind are the ones that seem to think that they're a cut above because they're being so green, and then go weaving in and out of traffic. The next one that doesn't stop for me (in pedestrian mode) at a zebra crossing is going to eat 20 feet of tarmac if I can kick their back wheel fast enough. It INFURIATES me when they do that.

Horse riders are generally really good, it annoys me when I slow down and some cockmuncher in an Audi comes screaming up behind me, not understanding why I'm driving slowly. This happens a lot when all the stockbrokers come up to Cumbria to their Lake District holiday cottages. Whilst I can't abide people who drive everywhere at 20mph, there's something to be said that wherever you're going will still be there when you get there.
    Melian wrote: »
    People who drive slow. The last time this happened, my dad had to brake suddenly. I was looking for something in the glove compartment and hit my head. :(

People who drive too close to the car in front and don't pay enough attention to the road around them so end up braking suddenly for something they really didn't need to.

Then the people behind them end up braking suddenly and you get a jam for no reason.
    The only cyclists I mind are the ones that seem to think that they're a cut above because they're being so green, and then go weaving in and out of traffic. The next one that doesn't stop for me (in pedestrian mode) at a zebra crossing is going to eat 20 feet of tarmac if I can kick their back wheel fast enough. It INFURIATES me when they do that.
    That just drives me mad.
    I've like the email list for our cycle group at work. Every so often you get ones from cyclists ranting about other cyclists being BAD PEOPLE. It's awesome.
    Hot chicks. If you're gonna show some skin when the weather warms up - and I can super-perve with my tinted visor on my motorbike helmet - then I'm gonna have a good look. At you. Not at the road.
    I own the road so STFU!
    katralla wrote: »
    Deserves its own thread.

I hate when people drive up my arse- do they think it's going to make me go faster?

I do this :blush: Dont mind in a 30 zone obviously but when its 60 and the person in front is still doing 30 thats when the road rage kicks in
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    My dad yells in the car about it :P x
    Other drivers generally. Get out of my fucking way, don't pull out in front of me, check your mirror you numpty, slow down, speed up, use your fucking indicators, the middle lane is not yours by right etc
    other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists
    use your fucking indicators

Agreed. I live near a main road. To get almost anywhere, I have to cross that fucking road. I am fed up of standing there, waiting for this car to go past and then they turn the other way.
    if it says keep clear KEEP IT CLEAR. seriously! i know sometimes by mistake you can get caught on it due to traffic or whatever but the amount of people who i see just totally ignore it for no reason pisses me off so bad. whyyyyy
    piccolo wrote: »
    some knobhead thinks it's ok to park across it so he can be 1m nearer the junction... :mad:

To be fair, it stops cyclists from riding in front of your car at a set of red traffic lights. I've spent all that effort overtaking you in the first place, I'll be fucked if I'm letting you back in front only to pull away at 3mph.

The other one is people who deliberately drive 20mph under the speed limit, for whatever reason. Wether it's because they're too nervous, or they're pulling a caravan, bugger off out the way!>!>!!!
    Whowhere wrote: »
    To be fair, it stops cyclists from riding in front of your car at a set of red traffic lights. I've spent all that effort overtaking you in the first place, I'll be fucked if I'm letting you back in front only to pull away at 3mph.
    Fair enough but I'm left standing on the pavement for another five minutes and I end up late :(
    Not using indicators, lingering in my blind spot, getting up my arse when I'm doing the speed limit, driving 10pm slower than ALL the speed limits you pass through, tractors, people parking on junctions, bad parkers in general. The list goes on....
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

There are there for a reason. One of the biggest dangers for cyclists is junctions. If you don't give them rooms to clear the traffic in a queue then they risk cars and especially larger vehicles turning into them at the junction because they're in somebodys blind spot. Happens in London a lot. Women tend to suffer most because male cyclists are more likely to jump any lights.

By far the most annoying drivers are those that sit in the middle lane of motorways. Even if you are doing the limit, if you are not overtaking somebody get the fuck back into the inside lane. Wankers. If you're wondering why that person is up your arse, ask yourself, am I being a rolling road block?

Also living in the New Forest drivers who slow to an absolute crawl just because they're passing within 50ft of a pony, sheep, pig etc
    Weekender Offender 
    I dont know what annoys me more, people who stick at 40mph in a 60mph zone, or those who do so and then continue to go at 40mph when it turns into a 30mph zone.

That and those drivers of souped up chav cars that are nothing mothing than shitheaps on wheels, trying to get up your arse when you are doing the speed limit, and you realise that their cars have nothing left in them.
    And anyone who rubber necks, slowing down to look at things on the hard shoulder or the other carriage way.

Yes there's been an accident or a break down, but if you don't start looking at the road instead of it there'll be another one with you in it.

As a copper you should know that the cycle area in front of the lights is there to stop cyclists being squashed by morons in HGVs turning into a cyclist going straight on. Anyone who stops in the cycle area should get 152 points and a £250,000 fine, in my most humble of humble opinions.

I'd also add to my list: people who stop in yellow boxes. They're generally so stupid that they don't even know why I'm yelling at them and blaring on the horn because I've missed my turn at the lights.
    Also, people who think you can't possibly enter a yellow box until the whole thing is clear and there's a masshosive space the other side of it.

Yes you're not supposed to stop in them, but doesn't mean they're an monster exclusion zone.
    Actually, you're not meant to enter a yellow box unless a) your exit route is clear or b) you're making a turn. It's complicated in slow moving traffic, but technically you shouldn't drive on to a yellow box unless there is room on the other side for your car to fit in. Otherwise you will be blocking the box if the lights change.
    Yes, but some peoples definition of exit route being clear seems to require there to be enough room on the exit side to get an HGV in rather than the Micra that they are driving. FFS, if there's a bit of space and slowly moving traffic on the otherside then if you move forward slowly your exit route will be clear when you get there.

If you wait for an HGV sized space it will never exist because by the time it does the lights will have changed and the next cycle will get a go and they will fill up the space instead.

There are muppets in this world who take 4 full light cycles of sitting at the front of the lights to work this out. Thats 4, on top of the one they were in when they go to the front, and the one at the very end where they actually moved the car (on the orange light, but I'll forgive them that).
    People who go, "OH LOOK! A LEARNER! I know what I'll do - be a total FUCKING ARSEBAG and do dangerous shit like overtake them on a roundabout and pull out in front of them and crawl up their arse flashing their lights for going 25 in a 30, when I'm TURNING RIGHT IN 30 SECONDS ANYWAY!"

Hrrrmph.
    People who have their fog lights on, on a regular normal day. Its not foggy, turn them off!!!
    How do some people seriously get driving licences? According to my dad, when mum was learning to drive, she was better than some of those who already had a licence.
    Melian wrote: »
    How do some people seriously get driving licences? According to my dad, when mum was learning to drive, she was better than some of those who already had a licence.

Is there a limit to the amount of times you can fail a driving test? I'm fairly sure a friend of mine must have got into double figures before she eventually passed, and there was no way she should have been on the road even then.