Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hmmm what to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, ive been offered a job which i have verbally accepted which would require me to move away from where i live atm and they want me to start pretty soon. Note i have only only verbally accepted at the moment.

Buuuuut as is always the way it seems, quite last minute today i got a call from a company based alot closer who would like to have an interview with me next week.

I dunno what to do! Both jobs are pretty similar, in both what i'd be doing and pay.

If offered the job closer to where i am, i'd much prefer to go for that one to be honest. But of course i'm not guaranteed that one. Just not sure how to play it. I thought i would give myself the weekend to think it over.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ask the first one when you need to make your decision by, and call the 2nd company and ask if its possible for you to have the interview sooner
  • Options
    Well i verbally agreed to the first one on Friday morning as they seemed like they wanted a quick reply.

I've just recieved through the post the Offer of Employment showing the basic salary/start date etc and they'll send through the full contract of employment once i have signed this offer of employment letter. So im guessing i havent officially accepted the offer until i have signed it. So yeah they have moved pretty quickly!

To be honest it looks like i'll just have to accept this one. Not that it's a bad job or anything, its a good company etc .. just annoying really with the timing of this other interview that is based closer.
  • Options
    ask for more money? Even if you don't get it, it could be a staller...
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Goodfella,

Remember that signing the contract does not mean that you have to commit to that job.

Within the first month of employment your employer can remove you with no notice, but you have the same right to decide to leave your job immediately. You could therefore take the job you've been offered, and then see what happens with the other job.

Whether your conscience allows you to do this is up to you, but if you think you'd be happier where you are, then that could be a justification as to why the first job wasn't working out.

Olly
  • Options
    Cheers for the reply Olly, i had forgotten about this post.

Well i managed to stick it out and i got offered another job a little bit closer. I'll still have to commute about 40 minutes or so but im not really fussed about all that. Its for a good company, im on a really good starting wage for someone in my position and the company is growing all the time so im happy with it :)