Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finding universities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
How do I go about finding where to go if I'm not quite sure yet what I want to do a masters degree on?

To clarify, I have a BSc degree in business and work in aviation. I'd like to combine those two somehow but don't know what's on offer or how to find it. To complicate further I want to go to a uni abroad as there's nothing on offer in my own country.

Any tips? Is it all about searching/googling until you find something suitable?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can search by subject for funded/ part funded courses here http://www.postgraduatestudentships.co.uk
    It's difficult to really advise you if you don't know what you want to study or where you want to study it. Before you commit to anything I'd suggest you have a good long think about what it is that you want to study and then research which universities offer the best courses in that field.

Postgraduate study is difficult, you're expected to work largely independently so it's important that you choose a subject that you actually enjoy studying. It's really more important that you study something you enjoy than it is to study in a town that you enjoy- you'll be expected to be studying for at least 30 hours a week, mostly in independent research, so you really do have to love what you're studying.

There is funding available for postgraduate study (usually tied to your ability and not the course you're studying) but most postgraduates have to self-fund. This can either be through a Professional and Career Development Loan (PCDL) if you're studying a vocational postgraduate course, through savings, through work or through commercial loans. PCDLs have an advantage in that the Government pay the interest until you graduate, but with all the options it will cost you a serious wedge if you don't get funding. Funding is very difficult to obtain as there is a lot of competition.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ is a pretty good website explaining postgraduate study options.
    You might also want to step back and think why you want to do post graduate study. Is it because you have a particular interest in something - I'm guessing not if you don't know what you want to do. If you're doing it because you think it will enhance your career, it's worth looking into the reality of this in detail as often makes no difference.
    You're in Iceland, aren't you?