Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going cold turkey.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys

I've decided to go cold turkey, from mephedrone and weed. Before i quit a month ago, i was doing between 5 to 10 grams of mephedrone a day, and about 3 grams of weed a day, i was almost constantly high and rarely ever spent time sober. This carried on for nearly a year.

The cost and toll this was taking on my body was getting severe, and i just couldn't afford to keep up the habit of spending £60+ a day on drugs, considering i'm only 17.

I've found it really easy to stop mephedrone, i've not really thought about it i only ever used mephedrone for fun, and well it was a big part of my life, but not something i consider myself addicted to. I've been off it a month, and don't plan on using it again, apart from special occasions such as parties or events like birthdays.

Although i'm having some issues with quitting weed, i always used weed as an anti-depressant and it works really well, i used it everyday and it's just became the norm for me to wake up, do some stuff smoke weed etc. Although i've not quit completely i never plan to, but cutting down has been hard. I promised myself that i'd only smoke it on weekends.

I've managed to keep to that, and even on weekends i don't go over the top, i spend the best part of the weekend sober, and only use it with friends, or out and about and maybe a spliff before bed.

I've had real cravings for something though, i just can't put my finger on it. It doesn't feel like i'm craving a smoke, or weed. My body just wants something, and i don't know what. And to fill the void, i've been eating almost non stop. I just can't stop eating when i'm sober, it's just big meal after big meal, and snack all the time. I don't really understand why?

During the week, i'm always thinking about weed, what i'm going to do on the weekend, when i'm going to smoke it and it's just getting to me, that i can't get it out of my head. The amount i ciggies i smoke now, has encreased to atleast 10 a day, which is a lot more than before, which i used to smoke about 2 or 3. Again, i'm using this to fill a void, for something i'm craving.

I'm pretty sure it's weed i'm craving, but my body doesn't show or feel like that. The craving do go away when i'm smoking weed, or i have weed on me. When i'm carrying weed i don't worry, and don't think about smoking it, it's just there and i feel good. The food craving don't stop that much though, unless i'm actually stoned, although it's hard to tell between munchies and cravings now.

I'm kind of at a loss what to do, i really want to continue cutting down on weed, and only smoking a bit on the weekend, but i feel like it's getting too much, and i'm going to break it. I'm not sure if mephedrone has a part to play here, i just wish i could work out what my body wants and why.

Before i started mephedrone and weed, i used to weigh about 9.5/10 stone. When i came off mephedrone, i weighed close to 6.5/7 stone. But with the food cravings and non stop eating in the past couple of weeks, i've gone back up to 9 stone. I find it very hard to gain weight anyway. I eat in excess of about 10,000 kcals a day.

How do i go about making sure i can stay clean and cut down off the weed? My body is confusing me :crying:

Comments

• Options
    There's no easy way to stop cravings for anything, and despite what people say weed can be addictive.
    Have you thought about going to the doctors? I don't know what if anything they can do, but in terms of medical help you'll get more reliable info from them than you will from us.
    Yes you'll get anecdotes about what worked for some people, but everyone is different and if you're eating 10,000kcal a day that's a real concern. Especially as you've put 3 stone on very fast.
  • Options
    Yeah but i'll hit a point where i can't gain anymore weight... it's really difficult. If i eat normally, i lose weight like no tomorrow, it's actually getting to a point where i don't think food touches me.

And yes i'll try an book a point in the with doctors... i wish they'd give me a weed substitute, but they won't.
  • Options
    Fuuubar wrote: »
    i lose weight like no tomorrow,

It won't last mate :thumb:

Give it to your mid-20's and then try eating so much......

But glad you're going to the doctors.
  • Options
    it's a family thing, all the men on the mums side of the family, are stick thin, aand hardly gain weight... I doubt it'll go in my mid 20's, considering my grandad, and great grandad, have never probably hit over 11 stone.
  • Options
    Where does a 17-year old get £60 a day??
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey there Fuuubar,
    I know it's been a while since you posted this initially but just thought I'd drop in and see how you're getting on.

Firstly, give yourself some credit for making the decision to cut down how much you smoke weed and for quitting mephedrone, you have made some great steps on your own and have showed some serious will power.
    Fuuubar wrote: »
    And yes i'll try an book a point in the with doctors... i wish they'd give me a weed substitute, but they won't.

Did you manage to make an appointment with the doctors yet as Whowhere suggested? Going to your GP is a good idea as they may be able to help you identify what your cravings are.

Also, you've talked about using weed as an anti-depressant.

It?s probably no shock to you at all that although you may feel initially better whilst smoking weed it can in fact be damaging to your mental health and make you feel worse in the long run. You might find this askTheSite Q&A about this interesting to read - http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/askthesiteqandas/mentalandemotionalhealthqandas/dontbelievethehype

Without knowing what led to you using weed as an anti-depressant, it's quite hard to know what might be a good alternative. However, if you are serious about quitting, it might be useful to think for yourself about the reasons you rely on it or use it in that way in the first place and whether there is an alternative way to make yourself feel better? For instance, if you find it helps you to relax, then a good start would be to try out some healthy methods of relaxation to see what works for you - some people relax through active methods such as team sports (e.g. playing basketball or tennis with mates) or through solo sport - swimming/running/gym time... while other people prefer more gentle activities - watching films, reading, writing a journal, chatting with friends, playing/listening to music. This is just one example, but there could be any number of reasons and solutions for your use that could be discussed here, with a doctor/drugs worker.:)

Also, Know Cannabis - a website dedicated to considering use of weed, has an online course to help people cut down. It would be really great to hear what you think about this - http://www.knowcannabis.org.uk/selfhelp.htm - it looks really good in terms of helping you to keep track of cravings and find ways to beat them, so give it a try if you have a chance. :thumb:

Good luck and stay in touch.