Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hypothetical Learning To Drive

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I am looking to start driving but no nothing about vehicles and driving but I do have a brother who's willing to teach me. The hypothetical question/ problem is about my health background and what would happen if I get pulled over by the Police. Is it possible to go and see my GP and get a medical test done to say I am in good health and physically able to drive ?

Kind Regards

ShyDrops.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Before you can learn to drive you need to apply for a provisional driving license. The process of applying for that license checks whether you are fit to drive.
    Hi

Thanks for your response,

I already have a provisional Licience from a couple of years ago though so I was just wondering whether I would need to reply again for the whole thing or whether I can just get a medical certificate and then send to DVLA ?

Thanks
    You should be able to just inform them that you have a medical condition without reapplying.
    Hi

But what happens if you were refered by your GP but spoke to the Consultant on the phone and told them that you were fine and you don't feel the condition would affect your ability to drive ?

Because on the Directgov website it says "if you feel your medical condition would affect your driving ability and safety of others then please see medical condition and feel in form".

Then on the medical form it says "In the past 12 months, have you needed to be admitted or referred to a hospital or clinic for psychiatric treatment."I was referred but like I said spoke to them on the phone and feel fine, I think it was because I took my mum to the doctors she seems to take over and my doctor pays more attention to her than me."

What do you think I should do ? It's like a catch 22 situation ?
    If you're at all concerned in the slighest, then talk to your GP, or call up the DVLA. For specific circumstances they would be the best to advise you.

If you're in any doubt as to whether you'd be allowed to drive then you need to check before you do.
    if you dont think it would affect your driving, then what are you worried about?
    if you dont think it would affect your driving, then what are you worried about?

I never declared psychiatric treatment, nor was I asked about it. I would declare sight or motor impairments, etc. but it sounds like you don't think it's relevant so I wouldn't worry.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I never declared psychiatric treatment, nor was I asked about it. I would declare sight or motor impairments, etc. but it sounds like you don't think it's relevant so I wouldn't worry.

I've declared psychiatric stuff and I had to send my license back to the DVLA. I have to pass a medical to get it back. But it depends what psychiatric problems you have.
    Has your GP / anyone else you see about your health told you that you're not allowed to drive?
    The law requires you to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about any condition that may affect your ability to drive safely. If you are involved in an accident and it is found that your health condition was a contributing factor, you may be prosecuted and your insurance may not be valid.

Source
    Hey there,

Seems like you're in a bit of a tricky situation at the moment but it's great that you're sought help to clarify what it is you need to declare.

As Melian has quoted, all drivers must inform the DVLA of any conditions that might affect their ability to drive safely.

The Direct Gov website has an A-Z list of medical conditions that could affect your driving. You can try to see if your condition is listed there. When you follow the link you will be taken to a link with your information about your
    condition and how to inform the DVLA about it.

You may like to read the page on the Direct Gov website about what happens after you have informed the DVLA about a condition.

Essentially a medical enquiry will take place and upon the outcome various decisions can be made if you have a license. I understand that you don't yet have a license but would like to start learning to drive. I would suggest looking at the list of medical conditions first to see what effect this could have on your driving. If it says that there would be an impact on your driving; call the DVLA to find out more information in relation to your existing provisional license. Their number is 0300 790 6801 and they are open from 8.00 am to 7.00 pm Monday to Fridays and from 8.00 am to 2.00 pm on Saturdays.

I hope this helps.

:)
    Make sure you disclose your medical background to the insurance company. If you're involved in an accident and they find you have a previously undisclosed condition that could have affected you, they will invalidate your insurance.

If you think they won't, remember that insurance companies are run by money-grabbing bastards who will do anything they can to avoid paying you.
    Just to warn you, the DVLA can make very strange suggestions - my dad has epilepsy controlled by medication. He was banned for 18 months. (it was 6 months, then 12 because no-one knew what was wrong and then 18 following another episode)

Despite him being fit free for a year, they decided to ban him for another 4 months. They claim he was still having seizures. He wasn't and there's no medical evidence stating that between the 13th and 22nd month, that he was having a seizure.
    Learning To Drive

Melian
    Has your GP / anyone else you see about your health told you that you're not allowed to drive?

No no-one has told me I can't drive, not even the consultant I spoke to on the phone also:

The law requires you to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about any condition that may affect your ability to drive safely. If you are involved in an accident and it is found that your health condition was a contributing factor, you may be prosecuted and your insurance may not be valid.

I don't feel I need to tell the DVLA as I don't believe it would affect my ability to drive.

Seems like you're in a bit of a tricky situation at the moment but it's great that you're sought help to clarify what it is you need to declare.

Yes I am indeed in a tricky situation, I feel fine and that I am fully capable of learning to drive. Also do you do your theory test before you start learning or do you do them simultansouly ?

Regards
    Hey there MrShyDrops,

Have you looked at the list of medical conditions that could affect your driving on the DirectGov website (see link above). Whilst you may think it does not affect your driving, the DVLA may think otherwise, so it might be an idea to just check.

And as Summer-Raindrops has already mentioned, you can do your theory test once you have your provisional, but either during or before learning how to drive. You must have passed the theory test to do the practical test though.