Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Approaching boss about LDs and depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Before starting my job, I had an occupational health assessment for dyspraxia and depression, which recommended that I am not overloaded with work... I am a very able woman, but I sometimes need more time to do things...

Our workload has gone through the roof... In that we have been given appointment times and aims which are literally impossible. What's more, they have started monitoring us and those of us who aren't meeting targets could be put on to 'personal improvement plans' which in the long term, could lead to being sacked...

I have so far done well in my job... I have had three temporary promotions, I am a union rep and have a good rapport with most people, but the workload at the moment, I just can't cope. I am spiralling back in to depression, the stress is affecting my dyspraxia, so I can't think properly and am making mistakes...

In all honesty, I can't stand to go in at the moment... I feel fucking terrible... But I don't know how to approach my boss because everything is moving to be target focussed anyway. Also, we have the uncertainty of redundancy and they will be looking at performance and attendance (we're only allowed 8 sick days a year or we get a warning, after which we're allowed 8 in an 18 month period).... I don't want myself under the spotlight.

I had to go home early yesterday because of the stress... I actually don't know what to do. The logical thing would be to just speak to my boss, but because I have trouble articulating abstract things like feelings due to my LD (I think), I dunno what to say...

Comments

• Options
    Is your employer aware of your dyspraxia and depression and is your employer aware of the occupational health report? If they are aware of your disability then they have a duty to provide reasonable adjustments to your workload under the DDA, and this would include adjusting personal targets to take into account your disability.

I would strongly recommend that you disclose that you are struggling because of the workload, making reference to the occupational health report. Rather than making your position weaker, you'll be protecting yourself if your employer does decide to start redundancies- they cannot use discriminatory criteria to decide on redundancies, and that can include using sick days as a criteria to decide on redundancy. They also shouldn't record sick days as a result of your disability as a disciplinary matter.

The only downside of it is that they can still use competency grounds to get rid of you if you are so unwell that you cannot do your job.

Whilst I think you should tell your employer, you might want to give the Equality and Human Rights Commission a call. They have an advice line for discrimination problems in employment and they are really really good; I use them for consultancy with my clients.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :yes: with everything Arctic Roll has said.

Speaking to your manager sounds like a good idea but as ARoll says it would be best to make sure you are knowledgeable about your rights in this situation first
    Namaste wrote: »
    The logical thing would be to just speak to my boss, but because I have trouble articulating abstract things like feelings due to my LD (I think), I dunno what to say...

If you find it difficult to speak about your feelings, could you perhaps write a letter or email explaining the situation to your manager instead? This would give you time to make sure you say everything you need to and gives you a chance to make changes rather than be put on the spot. Just an idea :)

Let us know how you are getting on!
  • Options
    Edited: Had a word with union reps and stuff, so I am gonna get this sorted.

I need to stop moaning so much and just get on with it!