Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Considering moving - but where to?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I currently live in Plymouth. It's impossible to find any IT jobs or office based (admin, etc) jobs. I am seriously considering moving. However, I think there are a few issues here:
- I am a part-time student. Due to that and disability, working full-time is a big no-no. I managed to work full-time over Christmas; but that was it - I wasn't a student.
- The last time I moved out, was for uni. I had severe depression issues and am worried this is going to happen again.
- The cost. I am currently on job seekers allowance and DLA. Many landlords don't accept local housing allowance (previously housing benefit) - even then, it's not much. And I don't want to particularly live with strangers. I am only entitled to the shared room rate - which really won't get me anything.
- I am currently under investigation for some sort of muscular / neurological disorder and have other long standing disabilities. I'm not sure if moving is going to totally mess everything up. I don't want to start from scratch again with regards to the investigations I'm having - because at times, they have been very painful.

I have relatives and a few friends in London. However, aside from one, I don't really know the relatives that well. I was told last year that I could move in with my mum's dad and step mum in Kent. However, to me, they're strangers. I've spoke to her dad a few times; but don't know them like that. On that note, what is the IT / computing industry like in Kent?

Comments

• Options
    I can't believe there are genuinely no admin/data entry jobs in Plymouth. Pretty much every temp agency in the country has windows full of the things. Part time might be your big problem, but moving to another area won't solve that one.
  • Options
    There are very few admin / data entry jobs in Plymouth. I've found a few and that's it.
  • Options
    But would moving anywhere else actually be significantly better?

Other than a large central city, but I get the impression you couldn't cope in one of those.
  • Options
    Hey there,

Seems like you're in a tricky situation at the moment as you want to move away from Plymouth but you're not sure where to go. But you're doing the right thing by thinking through all the possibilities and important aspects.

In terms of your specific question about jobs in the IT and computing industry in Kent - I have no idea about this. But you could try contacting a few employment agencies in Kent to ask them and maybe they can circulate your CV for you. Once you have a job offer the move might be easier.

Ideally, you should move to a town/city that you're comfortable with. So you could try visiting Kent (or another location that you might consider moving to) and just having a look around. Can you see yourself living there?

In terms of your health needs, you will need to assess whether you will receive adequate support at your chosen location. Check out some GP surgeries and try to find out if they will be able to provide you with the support you need in relation to your physical disability and mental health needs. Maybe even talk to your current GP who may be able to provide invaluable advice about moving location at this stage.

In terms of costs, it might be better to find a job first and then find somewhere to live, as you will know what you can afford. As you mention, for a single person, local housing allowance is likely to only be for a shared room. You could also check out some housing associations in the areas you are considering or have a look at the council's housing allocations policy. You may be placed on a waiting list but your disability will be taken into account when they allocate properties.

Take your time to consider all your options to make sure the move is right for you.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Thanks. I've talked to my parents about this. Dad doesn't seem to have that much of an opinion. Mum thinks it's a bad idea and says I should get a job in Exeter and stay in Plymouth. I also need to redo GCSE English and am not willing to go to back to the place I studied. That's the only Adult Ed college in Plymouth. That would either mean going to the college in Exeter or Cornwall. So, I'd have to work maybe full-time, go to college in the evening and come home late. I'm not sure I can do that.
  • Options
    You need to be realistic about how much commuting you can stand. I know people who do 2 hours each way and they are constantly tired and drained and take a lot of sick days. Maybe do a trial run of the journeys you would have to make and ask yourself can I do this every day without making myself ill?.
  • Options
    Maybe you should move to exeter - or at least start looking for jobs there with an eye on moving...
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »
    You need to be realistic about how much commuting you can stand. I know people who do 2 hours each way and they are constantly tired and drained and take a lot of sick days. Maybe do a trial run of the journeys you would have to make and ask yourself can I do this every day without making myself ill?.

That's my concern really. I don't like travelling that much anyway.