Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Being tested for Autism - pointless?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It has been suggested (yet again) that I probably have some form of Autism. Now, I know that I probably do have some of the symptoms of Autism - but I also have symptoms of many other conditions. It's not unusual for people with one of my disabilities to be diagnosed with ADHD - because basically, many children with this particular condition do tend to play up an awful lot at school because they are unable to do their work due to their visual impairment. I was one of them. We're also seem as clumsy. Many of us are mistakenly thought to be Dyslexic - because we generally struggle with reading. I was, and the educational psychologist disagreed - he claimed that I struggle with reading due to visual impairment and see everything differently [I sometimes see objects move, have poor colour vision etc] - therefore, I would be expected to fail the picture tests involving logic and the ones where I have to copy the picture that someone else has done.

I remember talking to someone about this a while back whose son has Aspergers. She said that she's found that she's picked up a lot of his habits, etc. - I have a few friends and a brother who have higher functioning autism / aspergers. I have done the tests online before (which I am aware aren't definitive and shouldn't be used instead of getting a proper diagnosis) and have scored highly on them.

Whilst it may explain a few issues I have, it's not going to change anything as such.

Comments

• Options
    might help you get a higher rate of DLA?

might be worth it for that
  • Options
    Money won't change anything. Not everyone with ASD gets DLA. I know someone who doesn't and he is able to lead a normal life.
  • Options
    It's really for you to decide in that case. I'd say get tested as it's always better to know formally, and have an official scrap of paper confirming it, rather than not. But only you really know if you want to go through it.

I don't see why you shouldn't- my advice would be that you should. But I sense that you're really wanting us to give you reasons why you shouldn't. If that's the case, then perhaps you shouldn't.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Money won't change anything. Not everyone with ASD gets DLA. I know someone who doesn't and he is able to lead a normal life.

he probably hasnt filled the forms in correctly then, because he probably should get it, depending on whether it actually affects his life, although thats all relative.
    Anyway, thats another issue, I was just sayin' thats all.

If youre not bothered about that, then its up to you.
  • Options
    I've just had a strange conversation with my parents - we were out this afternoon doing a sponsored walk for National Autistic Society. (Brother and one of the ladies mum cares for has it too) Anyway, she went on to say that she too believes I have it.

Now, I must just decide whether I want to know for definite. I've spoken to NAS about this and have asked about testing for adults (brother was a child when he was diagnosed) and about this link that there probably is between Autism and a condition I have. (actually, it's two conditions; but I knew about the first one anyway)
  • Options
    is there any special reason why you wouldnt want to know?
  • Options
    Not that I can think of.