Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Yarn stores

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Where do you get yours?

I like The Black Sheep for basics, Cucumber Patch (although the website is a pain to navigate) or my LYS is Loop in Islington for a decent range (including lots of Cascade).

Anyone else?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love Loop in Angel, Islington. I also buy quite a bit a John Lewis, Oxford Street especially when there's a sale on. I've also been to I Knit London in Waterloo and Liberties in Central London. Another nice shop is All The Fun of the Fayre although so far I've just window shopped there (it's on Carnaby Street). They have some cute hand knit stuff for sale as well.

I also really like going to different LYS when I travel either in the UK or abroad. I've been to Morris and Sons in Sydney, K1 yarns and McAree brothers in Edinburgh and This is Knit and the Wollen Mills in Dublin. When I'm going somewhere new I often check out the LYS and see if I want to make a visit.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I love Loop in Angel, Islington. I also buy quite a bit a John Lewis, Oxford Street especially when there's a sale on. I've also been to I Knit London in Waterloo and Liberties in Central London. Another nice shop is All The Fun of the Fayre although so far I've just window shopped there (it's on Carnaby Street).

All the Fun of the Fayre seems really limited when I've been in there. John Lewis is getting better, it used to be entirely Rowan / Debbie Bliss, etc. but they have a better Sirdar range these days.

Deramores online is also good.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Deramores online is also good.

My mum has used Deramores online too with success :yes:
    ooh yarn, a topic I can get on board with!
    I like:
    McADirect
    Great British Yarns
    First4yarns
    HCS Crafts
    Country Crafts (really personable and helpful, but their colour representation on the website is not accurate.)
    and my current favourite is Hejhog
    I found Hejhog when I was looking for a big ball of aran for a project, they seem really good. Mum likes HCS and McA.

I do love expensive yarn but right now I'm all about cheap and cheerful and stash busting!
    I like angel yarns "angel luxury" range, but they are so slow it isnt even funny!

ETA it's closed :'(
    Amira wrote: »
    I like angel yarns "angel luxury" range, but they are so slow it isnt even funny!

ETA it's closed :'(

Yeah they keep saying they'll reopen... I live in hope
    I FOUND MY LYS YESTERDAY!

It used to be a bookshop but they've changed what they sell and now it's all crafty and jigsaw puzzles and lovely things :heart:
    I FOUND MY LYS YESTERDAY!

It used to be a bookshop but they've changed what they sell and now it's all crafty and jigsaw puzzles and lovely things :heart:

:) Everyone needs a LYS. I don't have a good one in Oxford, which makes me sad.
    This is my LYS. I :heart: it. Isn't the most well-stocked, but they do a decent range of cheap and cheerful and the ladies who run it are so lovely.

I'm also a fan of McA and HCS, and sometimes Stash (the Chester one) has some cracking things in their clearance section.
    Kaff wrote: »
    Stash (the Chester one) has some cracking things in their clearance section.

Seconded!
    Has anyone tried laughinghens.com? I was trying to find a yarn locally but can't unless John Lewis have it (Loop don't have the right colour nor do any of the LYS I can get to or any of the online stores I have heard of). I'm going to make a teddy bear for my soon to be born nephew and the pattern calls for Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in "Stone" colour.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Has anyone tried laughinghens.com? I was trying to find a yarn locally but can't unless John Lewis have it (Loop don't have the right colour nor do any of the LYS I can get to or any of the online stores I have heard of). I'm going to make a teddy bear for my soon to be born nephew and the pattern calls for Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in "Stone" colour.

I have had good service from the laughing hens. :)
    I have had good service from the laughing hens. :)

Me too
    That's great news.

I'll check out JL later today as then I wouldn't have to pay P&P and, more importantly, I'd have it straight away so I can cast on! But if they don't have the right one I'll definately get it online at Laughing Hens. I found some stuff about them on Rav and they had positive comments. Only thing is it will probably mean a trip to the Post Office depot to collect the parcel and they have stupid opening hours.
    No luck at the shops - will have to order it online.
    So I just found my new favourite yarn store.

http://www.stitchperfect.co.uk/default.asp

They sell Addis.

And Malabrigo.

And Madtosh.

OHGOD.
    If looking for a good yarn shop in London, Nest is amazing in Crouch End. It has all natural fibres with the full range of budgets catered for and they have a knitting group on a Monday and Friday afternoons where they have amazing homemade cakes.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    OOh yes, I stumbled across this website the other day... it looks good! Just a shame they didn't have the wool I wanted.