Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Question about Annual Leave

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I was wondering can my employer force me to book my whole year's leave by 10th April. It states in our handbook that we need to give reasonable notice - which for the past 7 and half years has been deemed as a month.

According to direct.gov realistically reasonable notice is double the time I wish to take, so a week hol, is 2 weeks notice.

I already have 2 weeks booked off already, but now being told we have to have it in by Sunday or they will allocate holiday.

I can't really book anymore in advance as my husband is in the army and he can't book his leave this much in advance due to duties etc. And I'm moving therefore leaving the employer around January - So I don't want to take holiday and then have to pay it back.

Anyone know where I stand?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That sounds unlikely, unless it's in your contract (your contract trumps the employee handbook).

Is it your line manager requesting it, or the company?
    store manager is asking for it as the deputy did it in her previous store. I've asked someone from another store if they are doing it but not got a reply yet. No new contracts have been issued - they basically just say about contracted hours. The handbook is our bible so to speak. And they still give the new starters this book now.
    Just checked with people I know at 2 different stores and the policy hasn't changed so its just my store manager doing it. grrh
    Just checked with people I know at 2 different stores and the policy hasn't changed so its just my store manager doing it. grrh

In theory he can't hold you to it, but it's going to be tricky to fight. When does your holiday year end?
    31st March! So literally in the new holiday year just and its got to be in.
    Your employer can control when you take you leave and this is one way of doing it and allowing them to plan shifts etc.

I would ask your manager for some flexibility to allow you to keep a few days back in light of your circumstances. This offers him a compromise. If he refuses then put it in writing, showing that you are willing to book some but are asking for a mid way agreement - ask him also for a copy of the company policy on annual leave which states that you have to book by a certain time.

Once you have put it in writing, and if he cannot produce a policy but still refuses then you should consider taking this as a grievance because this clearly isn't company policy and therefore he cannot enforce his wishes.