Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what do you think of this? saturday protest video

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't see how the UKUncut video, of the police telling protesters they won't be arrested if they go outside, can have been twisted, unless they hired actors to play the cops. It was a video from a legal association.

Sorry mate... There are some good cops, but plenty of scum as well.

It seems to me, looking at the video, that it's the riot police making all the bad calls, the Met cops seem a bit bewildered and just going along with it.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    All arrests shown on Youtube e.t.c look illegitimate to those who aren't in the job. I caught a shoplifter a little while back and ended up taking him to the floor very roughly. To a casual observer it would have looked illegitimate and over the top. But then, he was trying to stab me with a syringe and doing what i did was the only way to stop him doing it.

Have you seen the footage? It's not about rough handling, it's about one group of police (I think genuinely believing it) telling people leaving Fortnum and Mason's that they won't be kettled or arrested and then the riot police imposing a kettle and getting the Met officers to arrest them.

It just looks peculiar to me.
    Aren't UK Uncut refusing to condemn the violence?
    Who cares if they are? My trade union- UCU- refused to condemn the student protest "violence" too. And quite rightly.

Smashing up a few windows is fair game and the riot police ask for whatever they get.
    Who cares if they are? My trade union- UCU- refused to condemn the student protest "violence" too. And quite rightly.

Smashing up a few windows is fair game and the riot police ask for whatever they get.

I'm not fussed about what they do and don't condone and condemn. I was just making an observation/asking for confirmation. I don't think anyone takes UK Uncut seriously anyway, with or without condemnations of violence.
    Of course they're not taken seriously, they don't have any real power. The people with the power are quite happily evading their tax and, with the recent change in the regulations, Gideon's made it even easier for them to do it.

UK Uncut aren't taken seriously because it is incompetent thieves like Hartnett who have all the power. Why bother about UK Uncut when Hartnett will roll over and have his tummy tickled?
    piccolo wrote: »
    Have you seen the footage? It's not about rough handling, it's about one group of police (I think genuinely believing it) telling people leaving Fortnum and Mason's that they won't be kettled or arrested and then the riot police imposing a kettle and getting the Met officers to arrest them.

It just looks peculiar to me.

Unfortunately that's what happens when people don't communicate. It's happened to me, I've made a decision about someone only to have it overturned by someone else.

I wasn't saying it couldn't happen either, merely pointing out that an incident can and does look different to an outside observer with little/no prior knowledge of how the events have unfolded.