Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Which is the best contraceptive..?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've asked my parents if I could go on the pill or have the rod.. but I don't know which is better?
The rod is for a long-term and you don't have to worry,(or something like that.. I'm not too sure..)
And the pill is awkward, if I miss one, it'll screw it up, etc..

What would be your opinion? Which would be best for a teenager?
Any opinions would be great! I just need reassurance on this; since it's my choice and my friends and family are telling me different things about the other. etc.
Thanks! :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your best bet would be to talk to your GP or at a family planning clinic to discuss the various pros and cons.

Someone posted this a while ago which may also help you to make a decision?

I personally have tried the injection, the mini pill and the implant. For me, the injection really messed me up, the mini pill was ok but I kept forgetting and the implant has been great. It's important to remember though that what works well for one person is another person's nightmare and that with things like the injection, once it's in your system, if it doesn't agree with you, you've got a while before it's out of your system whereas if the pill doesn't agree with you, you can just stop taking it.

Hope I helped a bit :)
    I know a girl who used the range, but ended up with the injection. For her, it was perfect. As said talk to your GP, you can't be sure if it would be good for you, it could really be the wrong time, wrong reasons or your body may just be icky. My friend was using condoms with her boyfriend and was too on the pill. She ended up falling pregnant and now has a kid who is nearly one. It just took one mistake, 2 contraceptives to fail. Not uncommon as the baby shows.

Just educate yourself before you make a decision.
    http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/safersex/contraception

there is also plenty of info here on thesite itself under sex and relationships.

Like someone said, one persons perfect contraception can be another persons nightmare so it is a bit hard for us to advise you really, just do some reading and maybe visit your gp or local family planning clinic for some advice. Is it for contraception or another reason?
    i don't exactly want to be going into the wrong route of things when i'm young.. so it's to be safe + my sister had problems with her blood type and i'm not sure if i could be the same.. :/
    i hadnt realised that someone posted it onto here already, sorry about that; and i didnt notice the coloumn for it on the main page.. again, sorry.
    i'm going to hopefully see the family planning clinic next week; and they'll suggest what will be best.. maybe.. :P

Don't keep apologising. But don't forget that because contraception is not infallible, and doesn't protect against STIs, you should always use a condom.
    I'm getting the rod, my dad has to sign something to allow me, and i know that i have to use a condom, but because i'll have the rod and that, it'll help in both ways :)
    thanks for your advice/help. :)
    It's really great to see you are being responsible about it and talking to friends and family. Sounds like you have a great relationship with your dad if he signed the papers for you :)

Though where do you live? I thought contraception was an issue between your and your doctor however old you are.
    I have been on the pill since I was 17 and I have changed it 3 times already due to ridiculous mood effects. Different things effect different people - Yasmin pill for example literally made me suicidal.