Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Budget

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Oh how Gordon would have loved to have had a tame media like David has.

BBC Article

What did you make of it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh how Gordon would have loved to have had a tame media like David has.

BBC Article

What did you make of it?

They were much tamer for Gordon when he was chancellor than they've ever been before or since...
    Hung him out to dry over the 10p tax thing though. How long until they realise that the 1p reduction in fuel tax is just giving us back some of January's 3p hike?

ETA Just realised that the OP might have made it look like I was talking about BBC coverage. I mean coverage in general for this Govt - increasing interest rates, huge hikes in unemployment, let alone the huge reorganisation of the NHS which actually goes against both manifestos.

Really soft coverage on the budget so far. Increased personal allowances - not until April 2012 though. Corporation tax - already the lowest in G7 (as per his speech), so he lowers it even more. 1p reduction in fuel duty which doesn't even cover the increase from January's VAT hike, nor the fact that fuel is going up by that every 20-odd days at the moment...
    They already announced this years increase of personal allowance (last year).
    Hung him out to dry over the 10p tax thing though. ...

You are kidding, right? It took a year of the Tories and Lib Dems shouting from the roof tops for anyone in the media (apart from one or two in the Telegraph) to mention the 10p tax rate might not be a good thing...

You must also be in a different country from me if you're think the media is going soft on the Government (though at the moment Budget coverage in general is competiting with a couple of other big stories). For example the media totally misrepresented how student fees would work and EMA was presented as stealing from the poorest rather than targetting them better and taking from the middle class.
    To be fair, it was Clegg that took the hit on that, rather than the Govt as a whole.

Maybe it is selective memory (although I'm not Labour) but it really does feel like an easier ride for some pretty damning issues and policies which are going to have significant impact.
    To be fair, it was Clegg that took the hit on that, rather than the Govt as a whole.

Maybe it is selective memory (although I'm not Labour) but it really does feel like an easier ride for some pretty damning issues and policies which are going to have significant impact.

I think they're having a much tougher time on things than Blair did for his whole first term (and Brown also had a honeymoon) and are coming in with the economy in much worse shape, so having to take unpopular actions.

And as Clegg's the DPM I'd see him as taking a hit on things as a hit on Government (I'm not talking about the breaking of his word, anyone who voted Lib Dem was voting for a PR party so they ought to get used to it, but about how the tutition fees would work and the misinformation which was allowed to stand)
    Load of bollocks. 1p a litre off petrol? lol, it went up 2p in the days leading upto the budget where I live.
    For example the media totally misrepresented how student fees would work

Nicky C was pretty good at being a disingenuous muthafucker about the fees too: he was quick to highlight not having to pay it up front and not paying it back until £21,000; less quick to highlight the hike in interest rates payable on much more sizeable sums. And of course there was the "only a few universities to be charging the full £9000", whopper. The cheeky fucker even had the audacity to bleat on that "students do not understanding what is being proposed". No shit, Cleggy! If you stopped slinging mud in the water, while all the time telling us it's good for us, then maybe we'd able to start looking at it properly.

Completely off topic, I know! :D
    A politician being a liar? Slap my thighs and call me Shirley, who'd have thunk it?

The BBC are going soft on the Tories because the BBC leaders know that if they don't the Tories will slam the gravy train into the buffers PDQ, if you don't mind me mixing my metaphors. The Torygraph, Times and Daily Heil agree wholeheartedly with rogering the poor up the arse with a studded baseball bat, the Sun blames the Poles and the Star just shows pictures of tits. The poor Grauniad is struggling to fight the Tories but can't deal with the fact that the cunts at Labour are as bad and they
    allowed the banks to do what they did in the first place.

But getting back to the BBC, do you seriously expect thieving little fuckers like Nick Robinson, Robert Peston and Andrew Marr to get tough on the Tories? They're all blue-nosed posh Tory rich boys and so of course they're going to lube themselves up and climb right up Gideon's greasy poopchute.
    But getting back to the BBC, do you seriously expect thieving little fuckers like Nick Robinson, Robert Peston and Andrew Marr to get tough on the Tories? They're all blue-nosed posh Tory rich boys and so of course they're going to lube themselves up and climb right up Gideon's greasy poopchute.

Only Nick Robinson is a Tory.

Marr has a history of being a 'leftie' but he prides himself on the need to remain impartial and "studiously neutral".

Peston has written for newspapers on both sides of the divide and is the son of the economist and Labour peer, Maurice Peston. So he's likely to be more left than right.
    Peston's a Murdoch mouthpiece and has been for quite some time now. And Marr's just an arsehole.

If they're left wingers then so is Ayn Rand.