Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

HMRC and Self Assessment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm trying to register as self employed with HMRC and get a tax return, and am having a right headache.

I just spent 20 minutes on hold to them before I could speak to a woman who seemed to check my entire life history before just telling me to register online. So I'm trying to register online, but they're telling me I need a UTR, which in their own words "will have been issued by HM Revenue & Customs when you or your client registered for Self Assessment" so how the bloody hell do they expect me to put it on the form WHEN I'M REGISTERING?!

It's no wonder people don't pay tax, ffs. Anyone done it who can help me out?

Comments

• Options
    To register you need to use the link below which gives you the options to register.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/register.htm

You can register online or by phone if you want to register as self-employed. Make sure you have all your details, inc NI munber and self-employmnet details to hand when you do. It normally takes about four weeks for them to set up your UTR number (which is a indivdual reference number)

Once you have this you can register for the online services, to file your tax returns, update your details etc.

If you need any more specific advice and dont want to put it on the board, PM me as I work for an accoutancy practise and very happy to point you in the right direction.
  • Options
    Thanks, lovely :D

I looked all over the site and couldn't find any way of registering without having to give a UTR, which I obv don't have as I'm not registered. Whoever designed the HMRC website should punch themselves in the face, user-friendly it ain't!

In the end I rang a nice man at HMRC who was a lot more helpful than the first woman I spoke to and now I'm all sorted :)
  • Options
    tax returns, bane of my exisitence, wish I'd never registered. My lodger never did, nothing's happened to him for 12 years...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    No idea on your question but what are you doing to be self employed? Are you setting up a crafty thing?

\nosey
  • Options
    He he, no - I wish!

It's for rental income. You can either have your tax code amended, which is easiest, or register as self employed and do a tax return, which then allows you to offset your expenses, which is annoying, but does make a big difference if you have a big expense (like the entire heating system exploding :grump:).