Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hpv

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
Hey,

Not sure if I post this here, but I see TheSite has a page on this already, but it's aimed only at women because of the vaccinations with cervical cancer. But I'm wondering if the site could update, or add a new page, to highlight the information for when it relates to oral sex and men?

I watched the documentary on it a few weeks ago, (can see here too) and it highlights the risks of getting throat/mouth cancers the more you have oral sex - because the myth is oral sex is safe. Since no current, and future plans are set forth for men to have the vaccination against the virus, I think it should be highlighted more. Since watching the documentary I've learned a lot more, I never knew HPV also affected men, millions of others probably don't know either because it wasn't campaigned like it was over cervical cancer.

The reason why I say oral sex and men, is because men aren't vaccinated against it, unless they go themselves and pay out of their own pocket (or never knew before), so there is still a chance (definite if your dating a young person, due to school vaccinations) that your female partner won't have the virus, so your chances (as a man) are reduced with your partner, but for women they are high still, since men aren't vaccinated. But for gay male couples, chances of both males having the virus is extremely high, so the risks are just as equal (higher including those who practice unsafe anal sex).

Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey, thanks JavaKrypt, will make sure the editorial team see this. :thumb:
  • Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    hi JavaKrypt,

Thanks for highlighting this issue for us. We'll do some research and decide what the best course of action is. Our aim with all of our sexual health information is to give readers guidance based on the most-up-to-date, fact-checked information possible. We have to be a bit careful about things like documentaries because we know that there's a chance (just a chance!) the media will have sexed-up a subject to raise viewing figures. This can result in people feeling confused and worried because it can seem as though suddenly everyone is getting a new disease when in reality the danger isn't as great as the programme makes it out to be...
    I haven't watched this particular documentary though and there may well be grounds to update our HPV article. It certainly sounds as though we should look into it. Thanks again for letting us know about it.

Best Wishes,
    Emma (Online Editor).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

Just curious what's the update with this? Nice to know it was being looked into.
    Hey Java, Emma is in Columbia at the moment, but I'm sure she'll get back to you on her return.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Hey,

Just curious what's the update with this? Nice to know it was being looked into.

Hello, had a meeting with editorial team yesterday and there is an article being researched at the moment. :)
    Nice to see it up there, fits the bill with the current evidence on HPV. :)