Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does anyone struggle with car dependence?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JanePerson wrote: »
    I guess with working full time and travelling to see friends at weekends I don't have all the motivation in the world. Its why I would rather have local friends that I can easily meet up with without an hours walk or a very complicated journey on public transport. I feel with these social clubs even if I did make some friends there it would be just like having another set of distance friends.

So what are you doing to find local friends?
  • Options
    Well I try to hang around the local cafes and pubs. I go to the library and I'm always looking in the papers and internet in case some new local (as in not a long commute to get there) group is starting. I have not had much luck so far though. Most people seem to prefer to stick with people they already know.
  • Options
    Are there any things like dance classes locally?
  • Options
    I can only base my opinion on my experience. Where I used to live had one evening bus an hour and it went to town. It stopped at ten. It didn't go to the nearby suburbs. It didn't stop me going out because I was prepared to walk or get a taxi when it was too far or raining.

Exactly. I went out with friends one evening and after 7pm, the buses here are 1 every half hour. Because I wasn't prepared to walk all the way into town, wait in the cold for a bus, I decided that my only option was a taxi. I used to get a taxi from a friends home to mine in the evening - because I didn't like walking under the subway in the dark.

The lack of public transport didn't prevent me from going out.
  • Options
    They're more for people my parents age.
  • Options
    I found this when looking for stuff in Braintree to meet new people (as in, there was one thing I could do but it met once a month on an evening I was already busy), and it's actually not too bad with buses around here (to my house, at least).

Is there a gym you could get to? Might meet some people there?
  • Options
    A gym is something I am seriously considering. I really wanted to join a book club but the nearest one I could find was an hours drive away. Even with a car I cant see myself wanting to do an hours drive after work.
  • Options
    About a week late, but here are my two cents.

Public Transport isn't ideal. Where I live it's shocking and my "life" is a good 16 miles from where I live and the trains finish really early s do the busses, walking isn’t an option and at £25 neither is a Taxi. I just either need to finish my night early or arrange to crash at a mates. At least you can consider getting a car, but some of us can't drive (well I can, but the DVLA won't give me my licence back - and no it's not because I broke the law it's on health grounds). It’s all about planning, yes it makes things a bit more awkward, but that’s life!
  • Options
    Avizandum wrote: »
    At least you can consider getting a car, but some of us can't drive

Exactly. Whilst not being able to drive is a pain in the arse, it's something I've had to accept and get over.

OP - I think you're just making excuses.
  • Options
    I don't think its so much that I am making excuses but that this factor is just one of several stopping me from having the kind of social life I want. The other two big ones are that I don't really fit in where I live and more importantly, I cant be bothered with another set of friends that I would have to travel to go and see.

If I had no friends whatsoever then I might be more open to spending hours of my free time walking in the mud by the side of duel carriageways at night and risk running across two lanes of traffic, vaulting the barrier and running across the other two lanes in order to get to a social in a pub. Then do the same journey back and get home in the early hours of the morning and try to get a few hours sleep before getting up for work.

I guess I am jealous of my friends who have local friends and can just walk round each others houses or to pubs. That said I think I am better of trying to make the most of my weekends away with them rather than exhausting myself with another set of distance friends.