Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tricky Rumors at Work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, long story. Here's some past info that is unverified and only one person told me. I don't think that they would tell me even if I ask because it's kind of embarrassing for them.

Ok, so somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago, a female volunteer joined the department. She dated or lead on a few guys and those guys started acting negatively towards each other. They were fighting and the teams weren't unified. She caused a lot of problems. The next few years, the department did not take any females on even though they were qualified. One girl was on a different department and she was rejected. Apparently the numbers of rejected female applicants were borderline lawsuit levels. Until I came along and they took me on.

Well, today my instructor at the college asked me if it was true that I was dating another younger member of the department because it came up the other day. He made it clear I didn't have to answer. I quickly reassured him it was false because I was dating some other kid till recently. We broke up on Thursday, actually. The class also backed me up on the fact I was seeing someone else till recently. He didn't say who said that I was dating someone on the department though. The rumors are false, by the way. In fact, this guy is extremely random out of all the younger members who are close to my age to say I was dating.

So I am kind of mixed as to what to do. I am not dating someone but if it was just one person saying that to my instructor, I don't want to make it worse and suddenly everyone thinks we're dating. I don't know if I should tell the guy either that people are saying that we're dating/messing around (my instructor said dating). I don't even know what the officers could do if I brought it up. I can't even imagine who said anything.

It's a messy situation and I want to tread carefully. I also knew it could happen but I didn't think it would. A girl on a different department had rumors spread about her supposedly sleeping with a captain.

Comments

• Options
    Work place rumours happen everywhere unfortunately, some are worse than others. Try not to combat the situation too much unless it is directly affecting you.
  • Options
    Be grateful that you are intersting enough for other people to talk about and ignore it....happens everywhere!!