Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Food when sick

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have no idea at all what's going on:

Yesterday, I woke up with stomach cramps, which lasted all day. When I tried to eat something, I promptly brought it up. I've eaten a few times today and have either vomited or my stomach cramps have just worse. I am hungry; but really don't want to (yet again) attempt to eat my dinner - because I have a feeling I'm going to throw up.

Is there any food I should try eating that won't make me sick again?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I have been sick, I have small bites of toast with no butter. If I still feel ok I have another bite.
    .Leanne. wrote: »
    When I have been sick, I have small bites of toast with no butter. If I still feel ok I have another bite.

This.

Also sips of lemonade help.
    *hug* sounds rough for you :(

This is just from my experience so no idea if it will work for you or if it is advisable....

I had an operation and pretty much vomited every half an hour for 24 hours after it. When I got home I attempted to eat again, but couldn't keep anything down. Eventually I discovered fruit shoot to drink (even water by itself seemed to set me off), and mini wheetabix (with just enough water to make them soggy).

Hope you feel better soon *hug* Is it worth giving NHS Direct a call? Sometimes you get put through to someone helpful :)
    Apparently fizzy drinks are good when you're sick cos the sugar stops you throwing up. Good if you cant even keep water down
    dry crackers :yes:
    My mum used to make me mashed banana sandwiches with brown bread when I was being sick.
    Thanks guys. :) I'm ok with liquids - it's just the food that I'm having problems with. I've had some cereal this morning and just have stomach ache for now.
    try and keep rehydrated more than worrying about food.
    Flat coke is good, full sugar, or lucozade. Even full sugar squash with a little salt in it
    avoid dairy it makes u worse, and like the others said just try sips of drink i always give my children dry cream crackers until they have stopped being sick x also flat cola stops vomiting x
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    When I'm sick and it weakens my stomach, my diet consists of pretty much nothing else than bread and crackers (and water). I think you're intolerant to wheat though so that's a problem...
    Why not ask a doctor what a good alternative would be?
    When I'm sick and it weakens my stomach, my diet consists of pretty much nothing else than bread and crackers (and water). I think you're intolerant to wheat though so that's a problem...
    Why not ask a doctor what a good alternative would be?

That's correct - I am wheat intolerant; but we do have wheat free bread.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Melian wrote: »
    That's correct - I am wheat intolerant; but we do have wheat free bread.
    Are you ok eating just that until you're better, then?
    Are you ok eating just that until you're better, then?

I'm starting to feel better now, thanks.
    try and keep rehydrated more than worrying about food.
    Flat coke is good, full sugar, or lucozade. Even full sugar squash with a little salt in it

This. It's liquid and salt that you need to replace.