Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Spam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
The amount of spam on the boards at the minute is absolutely ridiculous, I feel like I am reporting 5-10 posts a day for spam content. Is there nothing that the mods can do about this, because it is seriously starting to affect my enjoyment of the site.

What sort of anti-spam software do you have in place? On another board I admin we put limited posting rights in for people until they've posted a few times (e.g. no linking to outside websites, bigger restrictions on how quickly people can repeat post) and I was wondering whether TheSite could do the same thing?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I raised this a short while ago with helen (before I went away) and I think it is something they are looking into. Id say over the past month or two there has been quite a sudden rise in spam on here, sometimes when im lurking in the early hours of the morning there is loads, which thankfully many dont see as it gets cleared up by morning. Sometimes what seems like a quiet period has infact been rather busy and vice versa.

I think perhaps its not just something quick fix that would need to be done, a kind of wait out for the boards software update I guess.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Yeah it's all fun and games eh? ;)

As G says, we are in the process of testing vb 4 which will hopefully help.

Arctic, what kind of software is the board you admin?
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I hate vb4 urghh *Shivers* :P x
  • Options

:lol: why?
  • Options

What is likely here is that you have used a forum run on a badly configured vb4.
  • Options
    phpBB IIRC.
  • Options
    Hey, just a wee update - have added restrictions on speed of repeat posting and have also upped number of posts needed to add a signature - we did have this in place already but probably not high enough to make a difference...

In terms of anti-spam we have captcha which I'm aware isn't the best as can be by-passed, so we also have generated question that we change regularly.

In terms of not adding links in early posts - there doesn't seem to be a permissions option for this in our current version of vbulletin. :chin: