Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Electerol roll and council tax?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive just got my credit rating, and noticed its not all that brilliant. In the notes section it says some factors that could be affecting it. One was NOT being on the electerol roll. I want to go onto the electerol roll, but at the moment, im living in my gf's house (where she does actually pay council tax) although she hasnt declared that im living there. If i go onto the electerol roll for her house, without declaring that im living there and paying council tax, is there any way they can find out?

i mean if i register, will they make a check or anything????????:impissed:

Please help as i dont know what to do...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, they will find out.

If you are living there then you should declare it anyway.
    The rules around Council tax are quite complex. usually only one person, known as the liable person, pays council tax. However, couples living together will both be liable (jointly and severally), even if there is only one name on the bill. This applies whether the couple is married, cohabiting or in a civil partnership.

There is a system of hierarchy of liability which is used to work out who is liable for council tax if more than one person lives there. The hierarchy goes as follows:
    1. a resident owner-occupier who owns either the leasehold or freehold of all or part of the property
    2. a resident tenant
    3. a resident who lives in the property and who is a licensee. This means that they are not a tenant, but have permission to stay there
    4. any resident living in the property, for example, a squatter
    5. an owner of the property where no one is resident.

Even if you are found to be jointly liable for the council tax there is nothing stopping your current arrangement continuing (although if your girlfriend is claiming the discount provided to single occupants then this will end and teh full amount will be due). You do need to declare that you are living at the property as this may alter the amount due.

You can contact Citizens Advice for more specific advice on your situation.
    Just to add that if your girlfriend is receiving a single person discount or council tax benefit, she and you are committing fraud by not declaring that you live there. The fact that you've done a credit search against that address will identify you as living there (the credit reference agencies note addresses that you give them) so I suggest you go and declare that you're living there ASAP.
    ok will do