Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
haven't posted on here in a while,been in a really low place.to be honest I have no motivation at all and no confidence.missed a full week of sixth form because i was "ill" but really I couldn't face getting up and going in.I hid myself away and s/h more than usual.parents noticed something was wrong even when I told them things were ok.been to the doctors which wasn't the easiest thing in the world but he diagnosed me with depression and anxiety.I have another appointment next week I think but I feel really down all the time and frequently end up in tears and just feel like I am worthless. I am making no sense at all so I will apologise now. I dont even know what I am trying to say,I feel so confused...
sorry!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hello Hidingbehindasmile,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so low. There is no need oppologise in your post, even if you think you've confused yourself. I am glad you have posted reaching out for help and support, weldone! Do you get any form of couselling or therapy? Or do you have someone who is trying to support and help you? Weldone for vvisiting the Dr's that can be really hard at times so weldone!
    Please look after yourself and tell us how you are doing. *hug* x
    *hug*

well done on going Dr's x
    its a good step forward, and to making things better xx
    we all care about you, and are here for you, and never forget that. :) x
    Practicing meditation will elevate your spirits. Have positive thoughts flowing around you. Trust that you are the best and born to achieve a lot in life.
    snuggy wrote: »
    Practicing meditation will elevate your spirits. Have positive thoughts flowing around you. Trust that you are the best and born to achieve a lot in life.

You are right, snuggy, but it is very difficult to get to that place from a really dark depression and not everyone will be able to do it without extra support.

The first port of call really should be your GP for serious bouts of depression. Meditation, spiritual direction and the rest can be really helpful for some people and even may replace traditional therapies for a small number but they are most effective combined with medical treatment or monitoring.
    I am waiting for a referal and have to go back to the doctors in two weeks,it should have been sooner but no available appointments so I am waiting.
    thanks for the advice bur I don't think meditation can help with these feelings...
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I am waiting for a referal and have to go back to the doctors in two weeks,it should have been sooner but no available appointments so I am waiting.
    thanks for the advice bur I don't think meditation can help with these feelings...
    Hey,

Exactly what I thought my couseller said how do you know? So how do you know meditation wont help with these daunting feelings? I hope going to your GP does help you and he is able to refer you on to someone you can confide in. OK? Good luck and weldone for taking the first few steps! x

Here have loadsa hugs from me to you *hug* *hug* *hug* *hug*
    Don't dismiss it out of hand it may surprise you, but medical treatment is about more than just medication so your GP should be able to help.

If it gets worse before you're due to see them, book an appointment on the day as an emergency and don't feel guilty.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Don't dismiss it out of hand it may surprise you, but medical treatment is about more than just medication so your GP should be able to help.

If it gets worse before you're due to see them, book an appointment on the day as an emergency and don't feel guilty.

This was up on my screen I just realised you said 'meditation' not 'medication'. Fail.

A lot of therapies use forms of meditation it can be quite effective but it's hard work.
    how confused do i feel right about now... meditation/medication easy to mix the words up i guess
    feeling so up and down these past few days, quite irrational to be honest. always seem to be crying and its awful!
    People go through bouts of depression like this. I know what its like to have no motivation whatsoever and have a cloud over your head but it will pass. Totally changing your life can lift the cloud, if you're in your late teens (?) something radical but easy in practice like just randomnly moving somewhere and improving your surroundings is an idea.
    I'm thinking along the same vein as Spliffie. Is there something you could do to introduce a positive element to your life? I would always recommend a group based exercise, which could be anything from breakin' to burlesque.

I'm an oldie now but dance saved my mind when I was in my teens. Other things that I've flirted with and recommend along the same lines are martial arts and yoga.

For me the 'change your life' motif worked when I put my energies into dance/performing/training, I hope that can work for you too.