Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Volunteer work..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so I basically got myself into a bit of a hole, I was supposed to choose where I wanted to do my 40 hours of volunteer work and it sort of crossed my mind. Seeing how all the 'good' volunteer jobs are taken, there was only one option I could choose from and that was to be a lawn repair worker. Now I do not know about you, but I have NEVER lived in a house with a lawn before and have NEVER done lawn work...so I am basically going into this work with no experience or knowledge about anything to do with lawns. I talked to my school counsellor and she told me that I should do some research on it and I should be fine...but all my friends are telling me you need a bit more than just research. Well, regardless I did my researching and still have not found much that could help me out. I was just curious if any of you could help me out and give me a few tips that I could use.

I start next Friday...so any feedback would help.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Could you get in contact with the company and ask them if there is anything you could do to prepare yourself for work there?

Try not to worry though - I bet there are things you can do to help out, maybe even things that aren't lawn related ;)
    Could you get in contact with the company and ask them if there is anything you could do to prepare yourself for work there?

Try not to worry though - I bet there are things you can do to help out, maybe even things that aren't lawn related ;)

Apparently this is there busiest season or about to be at least and have no time even for a phone call...so the only time I can speak with them is when I meet with them next Friday.

Thanks for your help :)..
    Even if you have to grit your teeth and grimmace your way through your first day, you'll know more about what's expected. Ask lots of questions on your first day. Use you second day to try and get some practical skills, ad hone those practical skills. Use your second day to try to hone both your knowledge and practical application of the business and ask for some feedback. When you ask for feedback, phrase it positively- what ting do you think I've picked up well? What would you like me to work harder on if we were to take on another assignment together? etc