Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anibiotics side effects

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm on penicillin for tonsilitis and this is my third day on it. I've taken penicillin in the past, but it's been about 8 years since I last took it and that was in liquid form. Anyway I woke up today with quite a stiff and painful lower back. Now I know this could be anything but I'm supposed to be at work later (which involves lots of lifting and carrying) so I'm not sure if I should go back to the doctor. I did have random lower back pain a few weeks ago too that meant I couldn't lift anything at work. I've also been feeling a bit icky (nothing terrible) so I'm not sure if that might be to do with them too (I'm meant to take them on an empty stomach). So basically, should I be worried or just keep taking them and see? I hate to be a hyperchondriac but it's not often I take anything other than regular painkillers!

Comments

• Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I'm on penicillin for tonsilitis and this is my third day on it. I've taken penicillin in the past, but it's been about 8 years since I last took it and that was in liquid form. Anyway I woke up today with quite a stiff and painful lower back. Now I know this could be anything but I'm supposed to be at work later (which involves lots of lifting and carrying) so I'm not sure if I should go back to the doctor. I did have random lower back pain a few weeks ago too that meant I couldn't lift anything at work. I've also been feeling a bit icky (nothing terrible) so I'm not sure if that might be to do with them too (I'm meant to take them on an empty stomach). So basically, should I be worried or just keep taking them and see? I hate to be a hyperchondriac but it's not often I take anything other than regular painkillers!

I don't see anything that suggests a reaction to the penicillin, and if you've had tonisilitis or you HAVE tonsilitis then you're bound to feel pretty much like crap to be honest.

If you were going to react to the penicillin I would have expected a reaction on day 1, and certainly by day 2. The fact that you're on day 3 and have no real symptoms of huge concern suggest that you're tolerating the penicillin well. Phoning in to work would probably be a good idea if you feel rough and your back is sore, it doesn't sound like the best state to being working in to be honest.

I hope you feel a bit better soon :(
  • Options
    stu147 wrote: »
    I don't see anything that suggests a reaction to the penicillin, and if you've had tonisilitis or you HAVE tonsilitis then you're bound to feel pretty much like crap to be honest.

If you were going to react to the penicillin I would have expected a reaction on day 1, and certainly by day 2. The fact that you're on day 3 and have no real symptoms of huge concern suggest that you're tolerating the penicillin well. Phoning in to work would probably be a good idea if you feel rough and your back is sore, it doesn't sound like the best state to being working in to be honest.

I hope you feel a bit better soon :(

Thank you. I'm debating over ringing in or not (I hate ringing in sick) because I have been off a few times in the past few weeks due to this tonsilitis. The tonsils are now going down but I still feel pants on some days and ok on others. Seems like I'm having a pants day :(