Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Longest hours

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i used to be a professional driver i worked around 60 hrs a week awy from home and then cam e home on a sat morning to have to start working in there doing housework and shopping and sorting out my kids etc etc so i would say i did aroun 90hrs a week non stop for 10 yrs, i also had a period of time where i worked nights aswell. oh and then there was a time where i was working for myself so i did all the driving, did the home stuff and did the office side of things in the wagon on a night before catching some sleep, and then eventually i came to my senses and gave it all up!!!!! it wasnt worth it, no money coming in for months huge fuel bills and little time at home with my family
    i used to be a professional driver i worked around 60 hrs a week awy from home and then cam e home on a sat morning to have to start working in there doing housework and shopping and sorting out my kids etc etc so i would say i did aroun 90hrs a week non stop for 10 yrs, i also had a period of time where i worked nights aswell. oh and then there was a time where i was working for myself so i did all the driving, did the home stuff and did the office side of things in the wagon on a night before catching some sleep, and then eventually i came to my senses and gave it all up!!!!! it wasnt worth it, no money coming in for months huge fuel bills and little time at home with my family

And you know what? After reading this, to the hell with it, just have a universal limit of 8 hours work in any 24 hours, no averaging, and no exceptions.

And as for business complaining that they need flexibility over hours, well, they would have.

The law wouldn't stop employers from being able to spread those 8 hours over more than an 8 hour period, though the daily rest rules would probably kick in somewhere (though with an 8 hour absolute limit for everyone i'd question the actual need for rules on daily rest)
    My most intensive working week was a 63 hour stretch over 5 days. It was 5 shifts of manual labour, the first being 14 hours and the rest being 13, 12, 12 and 12 respectively. It was intensive manual labour too, and the shifts were a mixture of nights and days. That was a pretty tiring week :eek2:
    stu147 wrote: »
    My most intensive working week was a 63 hour stretch over 5 days. It was 5 shifts of manual labour, the first being 14 hours and the rest being 13, 12, 12 and 12 respectively. It was intensive manual labour too, and the shifts were a mixture of nights and days. That was a pretty tiring week :eek2:

I've always wondered how employers can get away with 13 odd hour shifts, but if the daily rest rule is 11 hours in any 24 for adults then i suppose that gives employers a 13 hour stretch of the day to play with. :eek:

Jeez.