Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's your religion?

12345679»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyway, the comment about them all being the same was slightly tongue in cheek, but there's more to it than just the money thing. All I really see different is that in Buddhism, the concept of salvation is replaced with luck. You perform this ritual and you get good luck. And every ritual involves a collection box somewhere along the way. My personal favourite was this one:

Set a bird free and you'll get good luck. Only $1. Of course the birds are trained to come back.
    The bird thing is probably cultural... Lying and deceiving people is generally not supposed to be 'skillful' in Buddhism (unless it's symbolic of something else)... I can imagine a lot of these people live in poverty though, so it's some income...

I have to say, I don't really think Buddhism is comparable to other religious systems however.. I see it as an ethics system more than anything, or a philosophy. One of the most notable facts is that in Buddhism, you're told only to believe what your common sense and experience says... There's no real doctrine other than guidelines as to how to live. It's just some guy believed that he reached enlightenment... Like, he was kinda freed from the cycle of suffering... Then he was all like "dude, I tried all this stuff and I think I have found a way to live, that really helps with this suffering an' the bad vibes man... Y'know, try it an' see how it feels" (well, he may have said those exact words if he were a 90s surfer from Cali).

I have found other religions declare for you what the truth is... Buddhism gives you guidelines to help keep out of the shit less, but then also recognises that shit still happens in this world which is beautiful, but also shit.

That's my interpretation and experience (thinking of which, haven't been to a centre in aaaages).
    If there is some 'creator', then I'm not sure as to why he/she/it needs or even wants to be worshiped from a certain species on a certain planet for a few thousand years.
    Anyone know?
    Because nobody has ever gained power or money by promoting a deistic god that has no demands of humans.
    Namaste wrote: »

I have to say, I don't really think Buddhism is comparable to other religious systems however.. I see it as an ethics system more than anything, or a philosophy.

Yes. Its an ascetic approach to life and seemingly delivers what it promises.