Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Servere back pain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a extremely painful back at the moment. it hurts no matter what position i rest in and i've been crawling around the flat in agony as unable to walk.

I've been taking ibuprofen and diazepam but the pain is excruciating. the more i try and stand up the worst it gets.

it started a few weeks ago and it was pain now and again. most of the time the ipuprofen worked but now its got so bad i cant carry out day to day things. today ive done nothing but manage a hot bath- even that didn't help. I can't take paracetamol as it makes me vomit.

what should i do as it's the weekend?
I can't get myself to A&E and my mum thinks i'll end up sitting there for hours and they wont be able to do much.

Any advice on what to do or what couldbe wrong is great help! :(

BB x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think A&E is worth a try (can your mum drive you there?)... you may as well sit there for hours and get it checked out, than be in agony... even if they don't do anything to much they may be able to give stronger painkillers?
    I think A&E is worth a try (can your mum drive you there?)... you may as well sit there for hours and get it checked out, than be in agony... even if they don't do anything to much they may be able to give stronger painkillers?

you're right but i don't live near my mum :(
    is there a friend you can ask? or taxi (if it's close otherwise a bit expensive)?maybe a warm shower / bath would help?
    I tried a hot bath earlier but it didn't help with the pain. it's very hard to put all my weight on my back, i'm having to lean on other things
    I think you need to go to A&E. Or at least phone NHS 24.
    Which bit of your back hurts?

If you're in that much pain though, seeing doctor someway is definitely the way forward.
    Lower back
    Are you drinking enough?
    To be fair, there isn't much that A&E can do for you. This doesn't sound like an acute condition, it sounds more long term (most back injuries are)... All A&E are likely to do is give you painkillers and you are already taking some pretty strong stuff. Difficulty with lower back pain is that it is one of the worst pains you can get.

If you haven't already seen your GP then I suggest you do so tomorrow.

Sadly there is no quick solution, this will take some time.
    Isn't lying on a floor good for back pain? you may need someone to help you up.
    the pain doesnt ease when i lie down. infact its wakening me up through the night. the pain is in my lower back but shoots up my back. i can't stand completely straight either.

Ive contacted NHS Direct so waiting to hear back from them.
    Melian wrote: »
    Are you drinking enough?

yes, why?
    yes, why?

Because lower back pain can be related to your kidneys
    How will i know the difference? what sort of problems could i have if its my kidneys?
    Could be a whole raft of things, most pretty minor.

TBH it's much more likely to be spinal/muscular
    If you've not obviously done something that you remember doing to cause an injury, and it's relatively rapid onset, and it's lower back, like almost more your bum than your back, and sitting down is one of the more uncomfortable things to do then you should definitely see a doctor.

There's a really fun abscess/infection you can get that causes lower back pain, and almost nothing will make it go away until you get a doctor on the case.
    No response from NHS Direct so this whole day i've done fuck all.

the pain is mainly on the left hand side shooting upwards? Any ideas?
    Probably not this fun infection then, that's pretty central.

Trapped nerve is always a likely candidate. Ring the regular GP in the morning, first thing and get an appointment there. In the mean time paracetamol and ibuprofen might help you get a good nights sleep tonight.
    went to the doctors. its the muscle and the ligaments around the bottom of the spine that are causing the shooting pain. i've been given stronger painkillers. it's a start i guess.
    I would personally try a physio first of all, they see back injuries all the time and would able to tell you what is wrong- perhaps a trapped sciatic verve/ prolapsed disc/ bursitis.
    Dont be afraid, I have had many back issues and went to my gp, who sent me for an MRI scan, who send me to the physio
    I would personally try a physio first of all, they see back injuries all the time and would able to tell you what is wrong- perhaps a trapped sciatic verve/ prolapsed disc/ bursitis.
    Dont be afraid, I have had many back issues and went to my gp, who sent me for an MRI scan, who send me to the physio

i personally think its a trapped nerve. how do i say to my doctor that i want a scan/x-ray?

I think a scan would be better first. I have longstanding neck problems and was given no scans - instead I was given physio. I could not move after I did the exercises. Because the neurosurgeon and neurologist can't decide what's wrong and the best treatment for me that isn't going to cause me other problems, (I was going to have injections - neurosurgeon said no because it does cause swallowing difficulties) I've been told I need to have an MRI scan.
    You don't.

You give the pain killers a chance to work, and go back to the doctor and ask what to do next.
    O-kay...conflicting ideas but i think i need to know exactly whats causing the pain?
    I agree with scary monster.
    It's only started recently. If you've got a long term problem, then pushing for a scan would possibly be necessary but as it is, you need to try the standard diagnosis process first.

Scans don't give magic answers, and there's very very limited capacity for them so shouldn't be a first port of call.
    I wouldn't assume that you can demand one anyway. Any GP worth their salt would refuse unless it was clinically indicated.
    I wouldn't assume that you can demand one anyway. Any GP worth their salt would refuse unless it was clinically indicated.

This was my understanding. I was given physio and painkillers (and was told that I was going to have botox - not happening now) before I was sent for a scan.