Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Driver - Car insurance/ first car

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got any tips for what type of car i should get as a start off car? Something obviously to help get cheap(ish) insurance. I've been looking around at Corsa's and Fiesta's but im open to anything really.

Also just wondering what everyone else bought as their first car.

:)

Comments

• Options
    I'm getting a Micra. Or a Ka. Because the insurance is cheaper than with Fiestas/Corsas/Clios/other typical boy racer cars.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Something small is the way forward. My first car was a 3 door, 1litre yaris.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for what type of car i should get as a start off car? Something obviously to help get cheap(ish) insurance. I've been looking around at Corsa's and Fiesta's but im open to anything really.

Also just wondering what everyone else bought as their first car.

:)

As good as both of the above are, I'd look at something like a Yaris, or something none 'boy racer' ish. It's just that even though these are low insurance group cars, the insurance companies group them as a boy racer car, so insurance can be expensive, although the cars are generally good runners and cheap to repair.

First car was a 1.0 D reg fiesta :d
  • Options
    Like the others have said, avoid your typical teens car and you should be okay.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Anything under a 1.4 should be as cheap as you will get. Nothing worse than your annual fee being more than what the car is worth.
  • Options
    Ha cheers, i never really put a Corsa in the boy racer category.. mainly because my mum drives a corsa ha. Thanks anyway! I shall let ya know what i decide!
  • Options
    I second the Yaris, I had a 1.0 5dr VVTI and I LOVED her, I miss her as well :(
  • Options
    I had an elderly 1.0 Peugeot 106. It only had 4 gears and if you knocked the doors in the right spot they unlocked on their own :thumb:

I've got a KA at the mo (the old style, not the new ones that might as well be Fiestas), and that wouldn't be a bad first car. It's a pretty good runner, cheap to repair and insure, and actually quite nippy, cause it's 1.3 and approximately the size of a rollerskate. Good luck getting anything bigger than a briefcase in the boot, though :p
  • Options
    1.1 saxo £350
  • Options
    Your insurance will be dear, theres no avoiding that, i paid 1500 for a car and 1600 insurance, Renault Clio.
  • Options
    Citroen Saxo. Did me just fine!
  • Options
    My was a fiesta 1.3, the thing that bumped up the insurance loads for me was having it registered as a commuting car. balls.
  • Options
    adding a parent on the insurance may be beneficial as an extra driver (you must be the main driver though, otherwise tis illegal)- it'll bring the insurance down (if they've held a license for ages) and will allow them to drive the car should need be (or test it after you've got it).
  • Options
    adding a parent on the insurance may be beneficial as an extra driver (you must be the main driver though, otherwise tis illegal)- it'll bring the insurance down (if they've held a license for ages) and will allow them to drive the car should need be (or test it after you've got it).

Yeah very good point, i'd totally forgotten about doing that. I just tried that and it came out £400 cheaper! Thanks for the point! :)
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Yeah very good point, i'd totally forgotten about doing that. I just tried that and it came out £400 cheaper! Thanks for the point! :)
    :yes: I'm putting my mum and my stepdad on my policy and my quotes are coming out at around £480ish. Cheeeeeeeapy.
  • Options
    i started driving a year and a half ago. i got a little 1 litre seat arosa and the insurance on it is super cheap :) its a really cheap car to run too.

got the insurance for £400 in september when i got my first year ncb. the year before that, it was £550 i think but it was only that much because i do alot of miles due to my job.

i have my boyfriend who is 27 and has over 9 year's ncb on my policy. it brought the price right down.
  • Options
    I've still got my old 1.5 diesel 106. Sounds big but because it's an old diesel it takes forever to speed up and it's near impossible to overtake at speed unless I have a very long clear run ahead! Insurance was about a grand when I started but came down loads after my first year - about £600 then last year it was £400. I put my mum on there too which makes it cheaper.
  • Options
    I have a 1.3 Fiesta as my first car. It's a good runner but has been expensive to repair and my insurance has been above £2000.