Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Adjusting a blouse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This one floats between here and creative I reckon.

I have one of the worlds most monstrous blouses that I need to try and adjust to make it fit in a vaguely reasonable way.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I even start to go about it? It's a parade uniform, so alternative tops etc aren't an option.

It's the right size that the top button does technically do up, the sleeves are the right length, and across the bust is just about ok, but probably needs a pin/popper/velcro to stop it gaping and the largest bit on my chest seems to line up with the gap between the buttons.

Google has failed me.

Comments

• Options
    How exactly do you want it adjusting? Just the gapey bit, or all of it?

Probably the best way to fix a gape is to carefully sew some velcro in - a popper would also work, but the velcro has a bigger surface area, so would be better - with the popper you'd probably just get two smaller gapes either side! I'm lazy, though, so I always just use a safety pin or two.
  • Options
    I was thinking velcro on the gapey bit.

I need the whole thing to fit better, as it gets tucked in at the waist, and as with everything, rather than scaling up in proportion, the large sizes are scaled up for someone with a flat chest, so everything below bust is too big and baggy which is a problem when I then tuck it into a very fitted skirt.

(which also needs taking up, but that's more straight forward)
  • Options
    Easiest way to take it in would be along the side seams. Sew a curve from just below the bust, nipping in at the waist and then flaring out again for the hips. It won't be perfect, but it should help a little.

The other thing you could do is add darts to the front to nip it in at the waist, but that's a bit more tricky! This pattern kind of shows what I mean:

pattern.jpg

To do that, I'd put it on inside out and pin little diamond shapes or long crescenty curves to pull it in below the bust, then when you're happy with the fit, stitch it.
  • Options
    You're a genius.
  • Options
    I would imagine most of the guys on here would help you with your blouse adjustment !
  • Options
    Any good with a needle and thread though?