Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Charged With Affray Need Help Im Innocent!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello there,
i am of 18 years of age and i have been charged with
Affray- Unlawful violence

to cut this story sort,
i have been charged with affray along with 7 other people
a fight broke out in a public park , between 1 girl vs 7 other girls
all under the age of 18
the 7 girls assaulted the 1 girl and dragged her onto the floor
i ran over and picked the 1 girl off the floor and pushed her i was intending to get her away from the group of girls , as silly as it sounds it was just a quick reaction, unfortunately for me the 7 other girls dived back on her and continues to beat her. some person video'd the entire incident on there mobile phone and sent it into the police
and i was then called in by the police for Affray and put straight into custody without being put into a cell or anything and was later on that day put into a tape recorded interview
i am now on bail and i am awaiting contact from the police as the incident has gone to the CPS , i am meant to go back in on the 30th of march 2011
any advice on what is going to happen next ? ( possibilitie's) as my parents and i are very nervous.
much help would be appreciated , thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    Same advice as with everyone else- get a solicitor.
  • Options
    Hey there luke311092,

You are obviously anxious about what is going to happen next regarding your charge of affray.

Affray is a public order offence. The maximum penalty is 3 years imprisonment but this can be reduced for various mitigating circumstances; such as the violence was committed as part of a group or you did not start the trouble.

You are on bail which means you don't need to be detained while the Court decides whether you are guilty or not.

Do you need to attend the Magistrate's Court on the 30th March 2011?
    If so you may like to read theSite's page on 'Court procedure'. (Affray is an 'either-way offence'.)

It is best if you seek legal advice at this stage as they will be able to help you with what to plea and the consequences of this. You can find a solicitor using the Community Legal Advice website. You simply put in your postcode and select the area of law you need (Crime) and then a list of possible solicitors will come up. Depending on your income you may be eligible for legal aid but the solicitor's will be able to explain this further.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Get yourself a solicitor. If you were actually acting in the defence of another person then you have a case for proving your innocence, I'm a bit concerned about the
    picked the 1 girl off the floor and pushed her
    part.

I rushed to the defence of someone a few years ago, I simply picked her up and carried her out of harms way, I certainly didn't push her over :S