Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Free PC repair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys.

I am a bit bored and like to be doing stuff, I applied to do some volunteering through do-it.org but not heard back from any of them, anyway I was thinking of volunteering my skills to the community.

Basically I would put ads up for free PC repair, advice, support and maybe saturday mornings 9 - 1 open up my garage which is a little bit like a workshop and let people come round with their computers which might be broken a little bit but dont want to get screwed over by the exhorbitant costs.

I could even tag a little pocket money onto it by doing out-calls for a small fee (like £10).

I was worried what legal problems this might open me up to though, I'm not a professional and would just be using my abilities as a seasoned amatuer. I am not one of these idiots who tries poking at capacitors with screwdrivers though.

Anyway it was just an idea I had last night and I thought it would be a nice simple hobby type thing to do so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it?

Comments

• Options
    Don't do it! there is a reason IT support people are depressed!
  • Options
    Sounds ok, you'd probably need some decent insurance though in case you mess up and the owner tries to sue you or something
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Shyboy,

You’d need to seek professional advice (from somewhere like a local Business Link) if you were looking to set up any sort of enterprise where you were advertising to fix computers. There’s a big difference between being the good Samaritan and looking at a neighbour’s PC because you know about computers and actively seeking problems to fix. As Icey said, you need to make sure you won’t be liable if something goes wrong (or you are covered if it does).

I’m sorry (and annoyed, as it’s my job) that you’ve had no luck with the opportunities you have applied through Do-it. Were you specifically looking for IT opportunities? Somewhere like http://www.it4communities.org.uk may be a good place to help.

Olly
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Sounds ok, you'd probably need some decent insurance though in case you mess up and the owner tries to sue you or something

Yes a indemnity insurance may help you if, the PC owner sues you for any damage.
  • Options
    If youre interested in voluntary work try going to your local volunteer centre - they will be able to put you in contact with various organisations that could use your skills :)
  • Options
    http://www.streetbank.com/

Might be worth a look.
  • Options
    Old thread is *really really old*, you guys.
  • Options

Well Streetbank is good anyway :p
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster

Good point Franki. I am gonna close it now :)
This discussion has been closed.