Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rastamouse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/855393-rastamouse-lands-bbc-in-centre-of-race-row

I saw this in the paper today and was interested to know what people think. When i was at the nursery this is how the majority of our parents talked. I haven't seen the show but i'm not sure what the problem is. thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some people are just bumbaclarts.

Look at what happened when they appointed Cerrie Burnell...
    Some people are just bumbaclarts.

Genuine LOL.
    Are many of the people complaining actually Jamaican then? or just white people afraid of offending their colleagues/mates/fellow parents?

Isn't Rastamouse all about helping other people or something? I don't think that's a bad stereotype...

But then I'm not Jamaican, so not aware of Jamaican culture (but would love to go to Jamaica).

ETA: Just watched it... It's cute.
    ‘My child is white and I feel if she was to say this to another child who was not white it would be seen as her insulting the other child,’ said a mother on parenting forum Mumsnet.
    We could just ban all non-southern English accents, just so we don't offend ANYONE.
    Well CBeebies did that with Waybuloo, dubbing out the Glaswegian children and dubbing in lovely home counties children...
    Well CBeebies did that with Waybuloo, dubbing out the Glaswegian children and dubbing in lovely home counties children...

Is that because middle class is magical?
    I just watched this on iPlayer and it doesn't seem particularly offensive to me.

Certainly no worse than the caricatures of other nationalities that quite happily peppered Postman Pat and Fireman Sam when I was a kid. It gives children of Caribbean descent something to relate to, what's wrong with that?
    I grew up being part of the only white family on an asian street. Because of our asian childminders, my brother's first language was Gujarati and I was eating food so spicy even my parents couldn't handle it. Although it would've been nice if my parents were around more, that's an aside: I'm so glad I was exposed and aware of different cultures from such a young age.

I've seen my much younger brothers grow up in an exclusively white middle class area and in a white middle class school and I know that it is to there disadvantage. At the age of four one of the younger brothers came out with 'I hate xxxx [the only minority in his year], he smells like the country he comes from' (!)

As far as I can tell, child's programming conforms to racial inclusion policies filming religious festivals, day to day life etc of families, sometimes from an ethnic minority, and explaining it at a preschool level. This is not how young children learn. The best way to engage with a preschool child is through story telling, role-playing and and small world play- not preschool documentaries. This is why there is so much repetition from children of the language used in rastamouse - because for once they are really connecting with ethnically sensitive material. And I think that's ace.

(EDIT) also D&B in children's programming is inspired!

Anything that reduces the amount of Glaswegian accents on tv is fine by me :thumb:

About Rastamouse - this is just the usual case of people being offended for the sake of being offended.

:yuck: Fucking hell, I thought it was irritating when Americans did it, but at least they've got a tiny amount of justification. I'm surprised they didn't re-dub Byker Grove.
    yeah they should have
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Evenstar wrote: »
    I grew up being part of the only white family on an asian street. Because of our asian childminders, my brother's first language was Gujarati and I was eating food so spicy even my parents couldn't handle it. Although it would've been nice if my parents were around more, that's an aside: I'm so glad I was exposed and aware of different cultures from such a young age.

I've seen my much younger brothers grow up in an exclusively white middle class area and in a white middle class school and I know that it is to there disadvantage. At the age of four one of the younger brothers came out with 'I hate xxxx [the only minority in his year], he smells like the country he comes from' (!)

As far as I can tell, child's programming conforms to racial inclusion policies filming religious festivals, day to day life etc of families, sometimes from an ethnic minority, and explaining it at a preschool level. This is not how young children learn. The best way to engage with a preschool child is through story telling, role-playing and and small world play- not preschool documentaries. This is why there is so much repetition from children of the language used in rastamouse - because for once they are really connecting with ethnically sensitive material. And I think that's ace.

(EDIT) also D&B in children's programming is inspired!

:yes: if i could like this i would.

i was round my friend's house who is also a young mum of a 2 year old. she was saying how she was uncomfortable with the premise of the show and didn't want her 2 year old imitating the dialect. i wasn't too sure why she was uncomfortable with her imitating but i'm gonna assume it's because of a worry to offend. now i know what to say next time i see her and it does explain a lot and make more sense now. so cheeeers
    lol shes worried about her 2 year old starting to speak patois because of rastamouse? :lol:

Id be DELIGHTED if mine did and would have to video it immediately
    lol shes worried about her 2 year old starting to speak patois because of rastamouse? :lol:

Id be DELIGHTED if mine did and would have to video it immediately

yeah i was a bit :confused: too