Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

opinions on hair stripper

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just saw this in the shops t'other day, the first home colour remover. I've got faded purple (which is actually now redish) on my hair and i want to dye it purple again. Do you reckon i'd need to strip it first and dye over it?

and has anyone used this before?

cheers

Comments

• Options
    Have you got noticeable roots?? I would say no to stripping your hair just to redye it the same colour. Think about the chemicals needed to strip that colour, and how damaging that must be to your hair.
  • Options
    Never used it but my hairdresser strongly advised against stripping hair. I'd just dye it again since you're doing for a similar colour.
  • Options
    Ok cheers, will do :) thanks!
  • Options
    dying your hair is a bit like mixing paint.

A stripper will make you end up with alot of orange and possibly some yellow thrown in. it isn't necessary to turn your hair these colours to go back to a purple colour, it would be more if you wanted to go lighter. Either way it is still better to get a professional to do it if you want to go lighter. Its always easier to go darker than lighter.
  • Options
    Sorted- just dyed it bright red again :)
  • Options
    GO FOR IT!!!

I was fed up of having red/black in random bits of my hair from years back - hairdressers told me that they could strip it for like 100quid. No thanks! I went into Boots, picked up a box of hair colour remove by Scott Cornwell and Bob's your uncle - back to ligh brown!! 100% recommend it! Your hair is a little dry after but nothing that a deep conditioning hair mask won't fix!
  • Options
    dying your hair is a bit like mixing paint.

A stripper will make you end up with alot of orange and possibly some yellow thrown in. it isn't necessary to turn your hair these colours to go back to a purple colour, it would be more if you wanted to go lighter. Either way it is still better to get a professional to do it if you want to go lighter. Its always easier to go darker than lighter.

i was wrong about this - i was thinking about prelightener with bleach in. found some stripper which said on the box designed to get you back to your natural colour. i had dyed my hair a bright auburny red colour in november, but as reds do it had turned more orangy as time progressed. i put a brown on top that went really patchy(nice and easy foam - crap) i used the stripper and most of my hair turned back to its natural colour except the parts that had been blonde highlights before which just went oranger(but i expected this as it had said on the box that red dyes stain the hair cuticle on really light shades).

it worked ok and did what it said on the box although if i had been redying it the same colour or a shade or two darker it wouldnt have been needed coz the dye wouldve just covered the old stuff. Downside is that although the stripper doesnt really smell, it really does make your hair stink - kinda like the old perming lotion smell, and i'm on my 8th wash since the stripper and it still stinks.my hair is in ok condition , a little rough, but am deep conditioning every wash just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    I know your dilemma was resolved but just for the record, it's not worth it. It took months to sort out when I tried to strip red out of my hair to dye it blonde, it's still a little orangey in places.
  • Options
    Ok thanks for the experiences :) I'm just gonna grow it out, i'll probably get bored and shave it off or something drastic soon!
  • Options
    Ahh, I dye my hair every month or so, I've never stripped it or anything. I just bung what ever colour dye in I like, always turns out fine.